#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:12 AM

Hello all,

I have used the Arri website for determine fc required and lamps required. I am about to undertake a largely exterior shoot on 16mm, allot like a gentleman mentioned a couple of threads down, am more comfortable on Night and interior shoots than I am during the day. The location is terrible, thick jungle like garden and some paths that get hit with strong Queensland (Australian) sun. I cannot find room, nor enough light to fully utilise reflectors, and I do not want a sourcey HMI look. I am thinking of building an ultrabouce over the main action area and bashing a HMI into it, I just want to give some subtle form to the otherwise flat lighting where the pond is. Is there a rule of thumb for determining how much light is lost through bounced light? I know you use "x" stops of light when you put 250 or muslin in front of a light source.

Has the Arri website changed their fc calculator, it used to be better, or was that another site?

Thanks,

Graeme

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:38 AM

Don't know if anyone can make an accurate calculation for this. Depends on what you're using as your bounce. Sometimes different bounce cards have different textures and less or more reflectance on their surface. Then you might be using a beadboard or a silk...

btw, I know what you mean about HMI's "sourcey look". You might also want to consider turning an HMI away from your actor and blasting it onto a soft reflector and see if that works for ya :/

Also, check out this shot from a previous thread on "Apocalypto". Don't know if it's similar to your setup or what, but it came to my mind at least. :)

http://i78.photobuck...bonfanti/01.jpg

#3 Glenn Hanns

Glenn Hanns
  • Sustaining Members
  • 160 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 June 2007 - 05:55 AM

Hello all,

I have used the Arri website for determine fc required and lamps required. I am about to undertake a largely exterior shoot on 16mm, allot like a gentleman mentioned a couple of threads down, am more comfortable on Night and interior shoots than I am during the day. The location is terrible, thick jungle like garden and some paths that get hit with strong Queensland (Australian) sun. I cannot find room, nor enough light to fully utilise reflectors, and I do not want a sourcey HMI look. I am thinking of building an ultrabouce over the main action area and bashing a HMI into it, I just want to give some subtle form to the otherwise flat lighting where the pond is. Is there a rule of thumb for determining how much light is lost through bounced light? I know you use "x" stops of light when you put 250 or muslin in front of a light source.

Has the Arri website changed their fc calculator, it used to be better, or was that another site?
Thanks,

Graeme

Hey Graeme,
Why not try using an old fashioned mirror and bouncing this into some 216/251 4X4 frame for a soft, managable and "non HMI' look.
Ive done this so many times and it always works a treat.
Cheers G.

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Opal