New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director
  • Far Rockaway, NY

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

Hi all,

Im new to this site and very excited about what i can contribute (from bad experiences) and gain from my fellow cinematographers.

anyways, i'm creating a specialty cooking DVD this summer and have tons of questions. I'm going to go through just a little bit at a time but for now, here is the dilemma:

i do not have a studio kitchen, but i've found some REALLY nice kitchens amongst some friends and was hoping to produce this DVD from there. In a sense i want this DVD to look almost exactly what one would find on the Food Network with Giada and Rachel Ray etc. but i dont have 5+ cameras etc.

i've got just two cameras for these kitchens (each image is 2MB, so give it time to load) and i want to do as few takes as possible (to keep a good continuity). How would you setup the cameras and lighting? Would it be just one on a tripod and one with a cameraman holding a steadicam? what about getting shots above the stove?

kitchen 1 - main cam
kitchen 1 - wil this window be a lighting issue?
kitchen 1 - larger view of the set

kitchen 1 - other side of the same kitchen - Another possible set?

kitchen 2 - main cam view
kitchen 2 - side view

please help!

Sam

#2 Sam Lebo

Sam Lebo

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director
  • Far Rockaway, NY

Posted 06 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

I figured since no one has responded that they've been having a hard time downloading such large files. i've brought them down in size to around 500kb. hope that helps.

#3 Ethan Piliavin

Ethan Piliavin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

Well I am no expert, to say the least, but I think - to get the discussion started - that you need to worry about the mixture of the two lights colors. In both kitchens you have large windows and overhead lights, and even in the photos, you can already see the wackiness it causes in terms of color.

Throughout the day the sun will also change and the light will therefore change, and you may run into continuity problems in editing.

I think you should look into replacing the kitchen loghts with daylight rated bulbs and/or block out the windows...

I am sure that some smarter and more experienced people here will have better advice....

#4 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Lighting wise, I agree with Ethan, I would work with block out the windows. You could just mess with the practical bulbs, which you may have to do anyway, but seeing lots of outside light does present continuity issues you'll have to work with. However just blacking the windows will probably be noticable, so I'd think about investing in some curtains or drapes, to artistically block the light, then you can punch in whatever amount of light you want from outside, and thereby have more control.

As far as cooking shows, I'm not too familier with them so my advice on staging it may be off, but my biggest concern is the layout of the kitchen. The island in the middle is nice to see all the dishes and some preperation, but as far as stove/cooking, that will probably be your trickiest part. The problem with it being where it is and all that counter space in general, is it induces a back/profile view of your host, which I do not think would be desirable. My suggestion is just plan out how your host will prepare all the dishes, and have he/she work with that island space and staging the camera around there shouldn't be too hard. For stove shots have the host do everything with the stove as normal and just have his/her back to camera. Then when all the masters are done, go to some inserts of the stovetop. Bring in some light, get a jib/steadicam over the burners and redo the inserts. Be sure to take pictures of the stove if possible while shooting masters, and have someone remember what was where for continuity.

Good Luck

Edited by David Regan, 06 June 2007 - 08:24 PM.

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Opal

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam