Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

Hi

I'm organising a multi-camera shoot of a live band performance. Using 4 Digi-Beta cameras - I would really like to use pro mists, to take the give slight halitation to the image and to take the digital edge off - basically the usual reasons.... I'm filming a Jazz enseble

But my budgets is super tight and hiring matt boxes and glass pro-mists is probably not do-able (well its do-able but at the expense of other things)

I did think about using nets but I'm worried that the effect might too extreme. But then I heard about using Lee soft filters on the back of the lens would give a nice diffusion effect and be much cheaper, than pro mists. I've not used them before and only heard about them recently. Any one got any opinions of using them in a concert situation - are they a useful poor mans pro mist? Or am I barking up the wrong tree.

I won't really get chance to do any in context camera tests till the day of the shoot.

#2 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

I think stockings would do the job, just get the kind girls wear to make it look like they're not wearing any, they are so fine that they should provide adequate halation in the highlights without fogging the blacks too much.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

Try using black tulle fabric on the back of the lenses. Unlike stocking materials, it has the major advantage of being flat, not stretched, so the pattern and softening will be consistent between cameras. The stop loss is negligible and predictable (unlike with stockings, where it can vary depending on how tight they're stretched). Use rubber bands to secure it in place, and trim the excess closely before mounting the lens.

#4 Ale Reynoso

Ale Reynoso
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

Hi,
I´m running a tv pilot soon and I was thinking in using rear mounted gel filters.
Is it ok to use a very clean, unscratched CT/CC/ND filter at the rear (of a 2/3 lens mounting)? My idea is to use ND or CC/CT gels in a camera with single filter wheel.
I think it´s ok as soon as the filter is mounted perfectly flat and perfectly clean.
Am I forgeting something?
Thank you!

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

Hi,
I´m running a tv pilot soon and I was thinking in using rear mounted gel filters.
Is it ok to use a very clean, unscratched CT/CC/ND filter at the rear (of a 2/3 lens mounting)? My idea is to use ND or CC/CT gels in a camera with single filter wheel.
I think it´s ok as soon as the filter is mounted perfectly flat and perfectly clean.
Am I forgeting something?
Thank you!

I would definitely test this first, as video cameras aren't designed to take filters behind the lens. Keeping Wratten gels flat may be a problem without some kind of holder, and lighting gels would not very optically "pure". You'd probably get some softening of the image and back-focus issues.

#6 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hi thanks for your input, David and Michael

The idea of using tulle fabric sounds like a good one - as consistancy between cameras is quite important, I won't have much grading time, so ideally the look has to be achived in camera.

I'll give it a try and see how it looks.

#7 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 01 July 2007 - 03:06 AM

It looks like I'm still going to use nets on my shoot.

But, I did camera operate on a shoot last week that used lee soft gel filters (lee soft 1) on the back of a 2/3 inch lens. They were just cut to about 3 cm in diameter and placed between the back of the lens and the CCD block. It worked pretty well with a subtle softening and no major back-focus headaches. So its definataly do-able, but you have to hack up a filter to do this, i wouldn't use lighting gels but the optically better (and much more expensive) camera filter gels work fine - but are fiddly to cut to size and mount.

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Opal

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio