#1 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:54 PM

Has any one here bought "Grammar of the Film Language" if you have what was your thoughts?

#2 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

I tghink it's really good but I've never actually read it properly. why not go to a bookshop and flick through it...

#3 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:21 AM

Its an awesome book, its essentially an in depth guide to blocking and film grammer with diagrams to illustrate the text. I read it about a year ago and now I use it from time to time to check storyboards and shot lists particularly in multiple camera shoots.

The diagrams are grossly sexist, seriously all the women in the illustrations are in bikinis or naked!

worth a read.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:37 AM

The diagrams are grossly sexist, seriously all the women in the illustrations are in bikinis or naked!

OK......I'm looking for a downside here? :unsure:

#5 Ram Shani

Ram Shani
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • isreal

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:22 AM

i read this book and its good

but if you want to learn about the subject you beater buy the "Hollywood camera work" DVD

its amazing series teach you the same thing but in 3d animation so you can see the moves and hows it cut

great thing

#6 Vincent De Paula

Vincent De Paula
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Vancouver / Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:13 AM

Got this book from Samuel French Bookshop in Sunset Boulevard in L.A.
and I highly recommend it. I don't think they have updated it since.

#7 Cinemalone

Cinemalone

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:26 PM

Actually, Film as a language has been refuted as a polemical associative reasoning. Film is not a language because language is made up of arbitrary signs (letters don't have an immediate correspondence to pictures), language has morphemes at its base-filmic images does not, and it is also impossible for a film to be grammatically incorrect. The rule of one-hundred-and-eighty-degrees is merely a suggestion. Films like Stagecoach even ignore this rule without disrupting the audience. This is not to say that film is not LIKE a language. This is just saying that you might end up spending quite a bit of time learning hifalutin (haha) words, like metonymy, synechdoche, trope, and various others to explain how a shot or scene makes meaning. This is all gibberish of course, without the experiential knowledge of the world which you already have.
I would highly recommend on the other hand, reading genre convention criticism instead. Or if Camerwork is what you are after, look for a book on camera work, and not "grammar."

#8 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

"Cinemalone", you need to go to My Controls and change your Display Name to a real first and last name, as per the forum rules listed when you registered. Thanks!

#9 Earl Newton

Earl Newton

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Producer

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

I'm a newbie here myself, but have to say, I have a copy of Grammar of Film Language, and I enjoy it. I wouldn't say it's a major reference tool, but it's useful to kick-start your brain into thinking three-dimensionally when it comes to blocking.

I have to make the writer/director switch a lot, so books like that can help get you back into the mindset of blocking versus scripting.

Have a great day!

#10 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

look for a book on camera work, and not "grammar."

?

Have you actually read this book?

It isn't at all a book on 'film critique'. It actually is a book on how to use the camera...it has many illustrations and diagramns showing how to block different types of scene. It is quite practical and not 'theoretical' at all.

http://www.amazon.co...g...8376&sr=8-1

#11 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

i read this book and its good

but if you want to learn about the subject you beater buy the "Hollywood camera work" DVD

its amazing series teach you the same thing but in 3d animation so you can see the moves and hows it cut

great thing

Ram,

Did you buy this?

Is it worth it? It seems quite expensive but I'd love to get this...if I were a richman...

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Opal

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post