Photo

Ways of transferring from P2 to a MacBook Pro.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm purchasing a HVX this week and i just wondered the best/cheapest way to get the data from the P2 card system to an apple macbook pro.

Im confused in that matter of things.

Thanks,

Jamie Mc.

#2 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:23 PM

"the best/cheapest way"

Do they really go together? :(

#3 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:26 PM

Haha no.

I meant the best option and the cheapest option. :)

Cheers,

Jamie.

#4 Alexander Joyce

Alexander Joyce
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:37 PM

We just got some P2 cameras recently for a shoot. We got a few different options to try out and see what worked best. 16gb P2 cards, P2 store, P2 card reader and firestore disk. The P2 store doesn't accept 16gb cards yet(good going Panasonic!), so it was useless. The card reader works well with Mac OSX. The new version has FW800 also. The firestore disk is prob the cheapest pr. minute, but isn't really any good for anything but studio shoots. That firewire cable is a bit dodgy.
If you're alot out in the field and don't mind lugging a laptop and a few drives I think a macbook with the P2 card reader would be good.

#5 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

How much would this P2 card reader be?

Cheers,

Jamie.

#6 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 07 June 2007 - 03:08 PM

Wow, i should expect pay above 2000 for it right?

#7 Alexander Joyce

Alexander Joyce
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:38 PM

Wow, i should expect pay above 2000 for it right?

Panasonic AJ-PCD20 card reader

The price is a little steep perhaps for a card reader, but then again there are very few reasonably priced objects in this industry. The P2 store is a little bit cheaper and Panasonic truly went all out when they decided to put an amazing 60GB in it(NOT! :P), but it's a hassle having to empty it all the time. Again it all really depends what kind of things you are shooting. You could always get two :unsure:

Perhaps something like this would work. Might be worth a try :

Expresscard to PCMCIA adapter

Edited by Alexander Joyce, 07 June 2007 - 04:41 PM.

#8 greg poschman

greg poschman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:51 AM

Has anyone used this device yet?
I am about to shoot a doc with the plan of downloading through a recent Mac Laptop to a 400GB FW800 external drive.
Post will eventually be on an Avid express.
Can anyone advise me on the shooting/ ingesting workflow here?

I am also hoping to emulate the scene file tweaks I have on my DVX100A- 24P, Cine Gamma, Enhanced chroma, relaxed detail, etc..
Is there a good site that I can use for guidance on this as well?

Perhaps something like this would work. Might be worth a try :

Expresscard to PCMCIA adapter
[/quote]

#9 Michael LaVoie

Michael LaVoie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

I've tried installing the drivers for the Duel Adaptor on a friends Macbook Pro. For some reason, it still doesn't see the P2 cards. I'm sure there's a solution but I'm done waiting.

What I did to avoid this whole mess was buy a used G4 Powerbook on Ebay that had a PCMCIA card slot. P2 cards go right in. Footage goes straight out to a 7200rpm external drive via firewire 800. It's a really fast transfer rate. I've been shooting all day and importing footage directly into Final Cut. Everyone sees it all in a timeline on the day.

Used Macs hold their value pretty well but you can find a good Powerbook with a PCMCIA slot for $600 to $900 depending on the ram and screen size. It's cheaper than a P2 Store and works much better. Many of the G4 Powerbooks out there have prior users who already installed Final Cut. 2 gigs of Ram is recommended for HD.

#10 Ash Greyson

Ash Greyson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Director
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

This is not going to be a popular answer but... the best solution is a PC laptop. Mac stuff just does not play as well with P2, especially ingesting/backing up. I have a rock-solid workflow that is cheaper than a P2 store and gives 3X as much storage. Get yourself a cheap PC laptop with a PCMCIA slot ($600), buy a copy of P2Genie ($30), get yourself 2 battery powered 2.5" USB enclosures ($30 each) and 2 160GB 2.5" laptop HDDs ($100 each). You set the P2Genie software to automatically back-up any P2 card you insert to BOTH 160GB drives, it will confirm the back-up and erase the card for you. So far, this workflow has been rock solid for me and everyone I have helped with it. You format the HDDs as Fat32 and they work with any Mac or PC.

For under $1000 you have a 160GB REDUNDANT P2 back-up system and with the free (PC only) Panny software, you can play back clips on set, alter the metadata, etc. If you add a copy of DVrack, you can now use your laptop as an HD monitor as well. ALL THIS TOGETHER is less than a 60GB P2 Store and has 10 times the functionality.

I have performed this workflow on over 100 shooting days and have no problems to date. I have an extended battery on my laptop and the batteries on the HDDs last for a full day easily...

ash =o)

#11 Paul Wizikowski

Paul Wizikowski
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

Heres what I'm doing and its all MAC.

I bought a Referb 15" Powerbook (as its the smallest and cheapest that includes the PCMCIA slot) and there are plenty more on ebay. Then I bought 3 LaCie Rugged drives (160Gig each) These drives are great because they are powered through the Firewire cable. Truely mobile! I use the slot in the Powerbook to ingest my MXF files onto a Rugged drive and then on import into FCP I set my capture scratch to a second rugged drive so I have the MXF files on one and the Quicktimes on another. The third drive of mine is just for backup.

For the price of the P2Store you could buy a Powerbook and you can do a whole lot more with a powerbook, so why waist money on the P2Store?

Now I am waiting for a PCMCIA to Express Card adapter so I can use a MacBookPro for ingest, and I've recently heard of some (Greg links to one and here is another http://www.rfwel.com....ter-p-745.html Unfortunatly I haven't been able to test one to see if the new MacBookPro can read the P2 card through the adapter.

Has anyone had any luck with an adapter of this sort for ingesting a P2 into a MBP?

Edited by Paul Wizikowski, 18 June 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#12 Ash Greyson

Ash Greyson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Director
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:15 AM

Heres what I'm doing and its all MAC.

I bought a Referb 15" Powerbook (as its the smallest and cheapest that includes the PCMCIA slot) and there are plenty more on ebay. Then I bought 3 LaCie Rugged drives (160Gig each) These drives are great because they are powered through the Firewire cable. Truely mobile! I use the slot in the Powerbook to ingest my MXF files onto a Rugged drive and then on import into FCP I set my capture scratch to a second rugged drive so I have the MXF files on one and the Quicktimes on another. The third drive of mine is just for backup.

For the price of the P2Store you could buy a Powerbook and you can do a whole lot more with a powerbook, so why waist money on the P2Store?

Now I am waiting for a PCMCIA to Express Card adapter so I can use a MacBookPro for ingest, and I've recently heard of some (Greg links to one and here is another http://www.rfwel.com....ter-p-745.html Unfortunatly I haven't been able to test one to see if the new MacBookPro can read the P2 card through the adapter.

Has anyone had any luck with an adapter of this sort for ingesting a P2 into a MBP?

I have found the P2 backing up on Mac more buggy and the P2Genie software does not cure the problem. Manually copying seems to work most the time however I have found that you have to restart several times a day do to issues. I got the express card adapter and it works fine on the PC end (I run dual boot XP and OSX) but it still a little buggy on the Mac end. Works MOST the time but gives you the spinning wheel too often for my tastes. Pretty bizarre problem... I cannot for the life of me understand why Panny made all the P2 utilities PC only...

ash =o)

#13 Paul Wizikowski

Paul Wizikowski
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

I have found the P2 backing up on Mac more buggy and the P2Genie software does not cure the problem. Manually copying seems to work most the time however I have found that you have to restart several times a day do to issues. I got the express card adapter and it works fine on the PC end (I run dual boot XP and OSX) but it still a little buggy on the Mac end. Works MOST the time but gives you the spinning wheel too often for my tastes. Pretty bizarre problem... I cannot for the life of me understand why Panny made all the P2 utilities PC only...

ash =o)

Which Express Card adapter did you get? Were there drivers that were needed to enable it?

#14 Ash Greyson

Ash Greyson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Director
  • Tulsa, OK

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

Which Express Card adapter did you get? Were there drivers that were needed to enable it?

I have the Duel Systems adapter. Yesterday I dumped all the drivers and reinstalled JUST Panny's new driver and NONE of the Duel drivers and it seems to be working fine. P2Genie has a different developer on the Mac side and the software is just not as good. That is likely the only issues I am left with. I will stick with Windows for P2 backup for now, I am spoiled by my workflow. It is bullet proof and super easy.

ash =o)

#15 Tim O'Connor

Tim O'Connor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 860 posts
  • Other
  • Boston, Massachusetts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm purchasing a HVX this week and i just wondered the best/cheapest way to get the data from the P2 card system to an apple macbook pro.

Im confused in that matter of things.

Thanks,

Jamie Mc.

A quick, inexpensive solution, especially if you've just bought the camera and don't have a
lot of extra money left, is to transfer directly from the camera to a Hard drive. It tells you how
in the Panasonic HVX-200 operating manual pp. 84-85.

For my first P2 shoot with my new camera I had an 8GB card and no place to put the data in
the field. I went to the Apple store and bought a Lacie external hard drive.

Note: The hard drive must be powered on its own, not in any way from the camera. Secondly,
dubbing the P2 footage direct from camera to drive with one Firewire as described in the
manual would not work! However, when I connected the camera and the drive to a Belkin
6 port hub, everything worked.

It doesn't take long to dub the cards. If you have two you're all set. Even with one card at
first, I had 20 minutes on an 8GB card at 720P 24PN and when you consider that you can
use the shot mark to keep track of clips that you absolutely aren't going to use; you can
actually shoot a lot more footage simply by deleting the unwanted takes. The bonus is also
that the final 20 minutes you dub will be mostly good takes and will save you lots of time
because you won't be slogging through all the extra footage you would normally record
when rolling tape.

I haven't met anybody else who has worked this way but if you're getting started with the
camera and say shooting film style, i.e. genereall relatively short takes, non-event stuff,
you can get through many days with just one 8GB card and get a good 40-60 minutes of
pared down footage which can easily represent 4-7 pages. If you have only one 8GB card
you can use the brief dubbing time to talk with your actors, adjust lighting, etc.

With the 16GB cards now and other bigger cards coming out, this workflow is going
to get easier. This week I used a Firestore FS-100 that a producer rented for a job.
I thought that he was going to want to shoot much more footage than he actually did.
If I had known I would have urged him to stick with the P2 cards. Would have been much
less work and less cumbersome.

Good luck.

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies