#1 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:32 AM

I think I've mentioned on another post or two that I want to make an "I hate when people film their tvs" video to put on youtube. I kept thinking of new ideas for what to do and I think I've finally settled on one. (well actually it's only for part of the video...still don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of it) I'm going to bring my camera around with me this summer and stop random people on the street or in public places and just have them say "I hate when people film their tvs" (it should hopefully come together well in editing...been thinking about how I'll edit it together too).
Has anyone done any shooting where they had to find random people just out on the street and ask them questions or have them say something? I was wondering if the people you stopped (like on the street or wherever) were usually coopretive(sp?) or if they were mad that they were being stopped?
Any advice would be good too.

I'm going to be here (st. louis) for this month, then in California next month, and then in Savannah in August, so I'm hoping to be able to get a lot of different people as they'll be from three different places.

#2 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:51 AM

I've done vox-pops for both news and other projects... and you'll get a variety of responses.

There will be those who don't want to appear on camera, fullstop. If you're polite, they won't mind you asking, but they don't want to do it, and you shouldn't try & persuade them.

There are those who aren't sure, but if they think you're legit. they might be willing to help you out.

And there are those who either totally agree with what you are doing, and will say the line for you. Or they simply like the attention and will say anything you ask them to. :rolleyes:

Depending on local municipality restrictions, you shouldn't have any problem.

Just be clear about what you're doing.
Be concise, if they can't understand you straight away, they'll probably keep walking.
Be polite. If they're not interested, don't push the issue. There will be plenty of other people to ask.
And most importantly, be patient.

#3 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

What are local municipality restrictions?
(I dunno what "municipality" is...but going to dictionary.com now lol)

#4 Kieran Scannell

Kieran Scannell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Netherlands/Ireland

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:46 PM

Hi Julia,

Daniel pretty much gave you everything you need for vox-pops (street interviews) my only addition would be to try and get someone else
to ask the questions, people tend to respond better to someone just talking to them as apposed to the added distance a camera gives. You also get better angles.

Good luck.

Kieran.

#5 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:06 AM

Hi Julia,

Daniel pretty much gave you everything you need for vox-pops (street interviews) my only addition would be to try and get someone else
to ask the questions, people tend to respond better to someone just talking to them as apposed to the added distance a camera gives. You also get better angles.

Good luck.

Kieran.

I like this idea better. I would be more willing to talk to someone who's just holding a wireless mic, as opposed to someone trying to ask me a question while sticking a camera in my face.

#6 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 09 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

Ah, ok. I will try and get a friend to come with me while in California. Dunno who I'll bring in Savannah...maybe my friends kid (he's 8 and I think that that would just be so cute :rolleyes: B) lol)
I decided to not do the "I hate when people film their tvs" thing. It will still be a video made specifically for youtube. But I think I'll just ask people things like what they like about youtube, if they've ever uploaded a video, what their favorite video is, ect. Either it will be stupid and really boring, or it will be somewhat comedic. I'm really hoping the latter.
If I had the camera out (just a DV camera btw) on the airplane to ask the people next to me, do you think they flight attendant would get mad (I chould ask them too :D)?
I have a feeling I'm either going to get all into this and it will be fun, or I'll be way to shy and chicken out.

Edited by Julia Gers, 09 June 2007 - 12:41 PM.

#7 Kieran Scannell

Kieran Scannell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Netherlands/Ireland

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

Julia,

Y'know vox-pops is all about contrast and conflict of opinions your filming in a couple of contrasting places! I would seriously re-think your
topic to try and accommodate for that. you'll get a lot more interesting material for the edit not anything heavy! just something more people
may have an opinion on. youtube is obviously something your interested in but maybe not a lot of other people. Try and think differently.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.

Kieran.

#8 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

I just did two days shooting in various places around the south bank in London.

We got moved on a lot. You'll be surprised how many places are actually private property when you try it on.

There's effectively two approaches:

1) Wing it. Go shoot. You'll probably get quite a lot of stuff before Globocorp's security staff have got their act together. The worst you'll likely get is to be politely asked to depart. If it happens, do so.

2) Try and get permission. It'll take days and cause you to go prematurely grey.

1 works.

Phil

#9 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

Get a press pass, you can apply diretly to the london met. To be fair i've only ever used it for work but I'm sure if I flashed it at some security guard by the time he had figured what was going on I might have finished.

#10 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 09 June 2007 - 04:36 PM

Of course if you're out in the street, or on the footpaths, you shouldn't have a problem. These are public areas and you don't need permission to be there.
(Again municipal regulations permitting. Some town or city councils have rules about who gets to film and where and who needs passes etc..)

Once you start going into malls, transit systems and other areas that are public spaces but actually private property, you will have to abide by the directions of the property owners. And as Phil said, if they ask you to leave, you do so.

These days, with so many public entities being corporatised, some of the areas you have always taken for granted as being 'public' are actually privately owned or managed. eg. riverside & street malls, some parks, bridges and public transport systems.

Shooting on the plane; well, if you're just shooting the person next to you, and they don't mind, then go for it. You would need to think about talking to the hostess if you wanted to go walk around the plane interviewing other people as well.
Bear in mind that many airlines prefer electrical equipment to be switched off during takeoff & landing. So you might want to wait till you're airborne first. (Camera's themselves aren't an issue - I've filmed in the cockpit during landing and takeoff, but wireless transmitters for mics, or any other RF source could be a nuisance.)

#11 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

I'm trying to plan a short trip to NYC as well this summer, so that's another place added to my list of places I'll be. If I go into somewhere like a mall or store or wherever planning to do some filming/shooting, then I'll probably ask someone who works there if they know if it's ok that I do that.
I'm kind of paranoid about airplanes. I actually do like flying, but when people have even just battery powered things like cd players or gameboys on during any time that they say not to have electrical stuff on I always feel kind of freaked out :unsure: lol...So, I doubt I'll do any filming during take off/landing. I'll probably just talk to the people next to me if I can during the flight.
Also, I've switched topics again (well twice actually). First I wanted to do the whole "I hate when people film their tvs" thing. Then I decided to ask people about the pros and cons of youtube, then switched it to the pros and cons of facebook. Now it's at the pros and cons of the internet. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep it at that.
I want to go to the science center and zoo here to do some shooting. Would it be better if I got in touch with them before hand and asked if it was ok, or do you think it would really matter if I just asked at the info desk when I got there?

Edited by Julia Gers, 12 June 2007 - 05:53 PM.

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab