3 replies to this topic

#1 Evan Ferrario

Evan Ferrario
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Director

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:45 AM

I have been trying to transfer some 16mm footage to video using my own and some borrowed equiptment. I am projecting the film onto a small white surface and video taping the image. I am using a Singer Graflex 16mm projector and a Sony HDR-FX7 video camera. I can run the projector at 16fps or 24fps. The video camera records at 1080i60 and has normal shutter settings 4,8,15,30,60,90,100.

My problem right now is flickering. No matter what combination of shutter and speed I set the two devices at, there still is a flicker.

I have read about projectors with 5 blades which are specifically made for video transfer. How does this work? Do 5 blade projectors spin faster than the 3 blade versions? Is there any way to change the projector I have, or do I need to find a new one in order to have 5 blades?

Pretty much, I'm looking to get the best results I can from what I have. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

#2 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

I have been trying to transfer some 16mm footage to video using my own and some borrowed equiptment. I am projecting the film onto a small white surface and video taping the image. I am using a Singer Graflex 16mm projector and a Sony HDR-FX7 video camera. I can run the projector at 16fps or 24fps. The video camera records at 1080i60 and has normal shutter settings 4,8,15,30,60,90,100.

My problem right now is flickering. No matter what combination of shutter and speed I set the two devices at, there still is a flicker.

I have read about projectors with 5 blades which are specifically made for video transfer. How does this work? Do 5 blade projectors spin faster than the 3 blade versions? Is there any way to change the projector I have, or do I need to find a new one in order to have 5 blades?

Pretty much, I'm looking to get the best results I can from what I have. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

In my experience with film chain experiments you really need to get a 5-blade projector to eliminate flicker there is no real way around it when going to 60i video. The 5 blade shutter does not spin faster it just presents the video camera more frames which replicate a 3;2 sequence.

-Rob-

#3 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

In my experience with film chain experiments you really need to get a 5-blade projector to eliminate flicker there is no real way around it when going to 60i video. The 5 blade shutter does not spin faster it just presents the video camera more frames which replicate a 3;2 sequence.

-Rob-

Well, I can get around it with a regular 16mm projector. I just set my clear scan to 75.4hz and the flicker is gone. (Sony D35W camera). :rolleyes:

#4 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:24 PM

Well, I can get around it with a regular 16mm projector. I just set my clear scan to 75.4hz and the flicker is gone. (Sony D35W camera). :rolleyes:

Hmmm I have a DXC537 with clearscan which I was not able to get to be flicker free even at 75hz maybe it had something to do with the projector I was using and its shutter angle. I stopped trying to get a film chain working after we built gates for Super8 and Reg8 for our Ranks which do allot better job at this work. Do the HDV cams have clearscan?

-Rob-

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

The Slider