Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:28 PM

http://www.veoh.com/...v606776KxHs6B2s

I shot it about a year ago and finally got around to editing it yesterday. I originally wasn't going to put any sound on it, but then I found that LOTR music techno/dance remix on newgrounds.com and I just had to put it on with the credits. I know it's weird music, but for some reason I actually really like it.
I know this is probably really bad and I really don't care what anyone has to say about it.

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

If you probably actually really dont care what anyone thinks of it then dont put it in the 'Please Critique My Work' forums...

Maybe good ol' youtube et al is a better place for such carry on ?

#3 Julia Gers

Julia Gers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • P.A.
  • STL, MO

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

I do care what people have to say. It was just wrong grammer or something there on my part. It's just if someone said "yea, this is terrible" then it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I'm not saying I'm not proud of it because I am. There are just other things I'm more proud of than this. Most of the time if I ask someones opinion about something I've created or done or whatever and they say "it's terrible" it would probably hurt my feelings a little bit. (though I doubt I'd show that it does). I meant that I didn't care what it was anyone said about it. I am interested in others' opinions of it or tips for the future or whatever, it's just I know this video is, if not just plain bad, then at least really stupid, and I know that and so I don't care at all if someone else thinks the same and says so.

Way off topic, but Nick, what is that in your icon? It looks cool.

Edited by Julia Gers, 10 June 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

Way off topic, but Nick, what is that in your icon? It looks cool.

The icon is a cine film camera movement - the part of the camera that pulls the film into place and then stops it when it is exposing, usually at 24, 25 or 30 fps - cameras with similar designs can go up to 200fps or so, higher than that other designs are used. You would never see this part like this in normal operation as it needs to be dark in there...

This particular picture is from a Mitchell camera which is slightly more complex than normal movements, because of its extra bits'n'bobs it produces a super steady image which means its still in high demand for special effects work like motion control and wotnot...

I'd like one!

You could get into film yourself and have your own dinky version of the exact same thing (a little simpler though) with a super8 camera - buying one would introduce you to a whole new world of things to learn about cinematography - I like film like that, makes you think a bit more about whats going on...

#5 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:28 PM

The icon is a cine film camera movement -

You could get into film yourself and have your own dinky version of the exact same thing

It's beautiful, reminds me of a Quay brothers animation, or some strange s(e)wing machine...

Edited by Damien Bhatti, 11 June 2007 - 03:30 PM.

#6 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

It's beautiful, reminds me of a Quay brothers animation, or some strange s(e)wing machine...

The intermittent functions of sewing machines are very similar to film cameras ;) They use geneva/maltese cross gears like projectors and wind up watches ... cameras dont seem to use geneva gears though for some reason (a lot of lubrication required) - at least the ones I've come across so far..

Quay brothers eh... which animations ? They mostly conjure up images of broken off dolls heads and wotnot for me !

#7 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:27 PM

Quay brothers eh... which animations ? They mostly conjure up images of broken off dolls heads and wotnot for me !

I remember reading about an artist once who actually used a sewing machine to sew onto clear leader and then let it run through the projector...now you mention what films of the quay brothers i can't remember...maybe the one with that strange compass machine putting linen into his heart (the one with boxes - was it "the cabinets of Jan Svankmeyer?") perhaps it was a bad comparison! did you film it yourself?

#8 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

I remember reading about an artist once who actually used a sewing machine to sew onto clear leader and then let it run through the projector...now you mention what films of the quay brothers i can't remember...maybe the one with that strange compass machine putting linen into his heart (the one with boxes - was it "the cabinets of Jan Svankmeyer?") perhaps it was a bad comparison! did you film it yourself?

The animation is from that animato guy (google it! I'm too lazy) - I have done similar things though using strobes synced up to Bolex claws and then moving the phase, pretty much the same movie - on film though, no dollars for transfer...

Svankmeyer/Quay/Len Lye etc... I've got access to watch a big collection of films of this variety, must get around to it one day ...

One of the coolest things I've seen so far with film was a friends system where he sandwhiched colored liquid between two bits of leader and removed the claw from the projector then moved the film up and down the gate letting it heat up and cool for a kind of lava-lamp effect - the colors were super super saturated - Very nice.

Another bit of fun was using the spinning feed reel to rub against amplified guitar strings at the same time.

We once also removed the motor linkage in some projectors and setup stationary bycycles to run them instead ... a smokey surprize if you slowed down ...

#9 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

We once also removed the motor linkage in some projectors and setup stationary bycycles to run them instead ... a smokey surprize if you slowed down ...

stationary bikes to run projectors? Now that sounds interesting, i would love to start tinkering around with this sort of "mechanics," but sometimes i dont really feel confident in my practical abilities...do you make things in an installation "art" based sense or are you more of a filmmaker?

#10 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:41 PM

stationary bikes to run projectors? Now that sounds interesting, i would love to start tinkering around with this sort of "mechanics," but sometimes i dont really feel confident in my practical abilities...do you make things in an installation "art" based sense or are you more of a filmmaker?

Well, mostly neither really - I'm an architecture and engineering drop-out (yep, dropped out of both) - prob finish architecture one day ... So I've made my fair share of arty things, but mostly get roped into developing the technical side of other peoples concept's ...

Of late however, I have come up with some nifty ideas of my own and will be developing them into my own arty presentations, they could also be used in narrative based film-making as optical effects - dreams, fight scenes, druggy, alien vision kinda stuff so a bit of both really.

I strive to try and keep things as analog as possible, but often use digital electronics to acheive my goals, but the chips are so far removed from a PC/Mac that is possible to print an the analog circuit (transistors, logic gates etc...) on one page of paper - anyhoo, I try to stay away from computors to actually produce the image, they can however be used to run/drive the analog gear that does the rest ... My own little dogma of sorts ...

Sounds like your interested in this sort of thing... I can only suggest you start reading up.. the internet is full of info - no need for any course - the next step is to start buying tools - once a week, get yourself a small hand tool of some sort, then once a month get something more substantial like a vise, or dremel - then once a year get yourself something really grand like a mill, lathe or welder ... The more tools you have, the more your head starts being able to think past the 'I dont have the tools' barrier and gets things going (obvious really, but still hard to accept) ...

Oh yeh, buy good quality tools - a file that costs twice as much as the cheaper file will last longer than twice as long, and still give better results !

#11 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:49 PM

http://www.veoh.com/...v606776KxHs6B2s

I shot it about a year ago and finally got around to editing it yesterday. I originally wasn't going to put any sound on it, but then I found that LOTR music techno/dance remix on newgrounds.com and I just had to put it on with the credits. I know it's weird music, but for some reason I actually really like it.
I know this is probably really bad and I really don't care what anyone has to say about it.

I know you don't really care what anyone has to say, but I'll say it anyway, IF you're going to call this a spoof, add some diolog and SPOOF the film. The animation is fine and your out of focus transition is nice but your film at this point is unfinished. The music works great but without diolog, there isn't really enough going on to call this a completed film so you've got a reall good start here but keep going. For what it's worth B)

#12 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

Well, mostly neither really - I'm an architecture and engineering drop-out (yep, dropped out of both) - prob finish architecture one day ... So I've made my fair share of arty things, but mostly get roped into developing the technical side of other peoples concept's ...

Of late however, I have come up with some nifty ideas of my own and will be developing them into my own arty presentations, they could also be used in narrative based film-making as optical effects - dreams, fight scenes, druggy, alien vision kinda stuff so a bit of both really.

I strive to try and keep things as analog as possible, but often use digital electronics to acheive my goals, but the chips are so far removed from a PC/Mac that is possible to print an the analog circuit (transistors, logic gates etc...) on one page of paper - anyhoo, I try to stay away from computors to actually produce the image, they can however be used to run/drive the analog gear that does the rest ... My own little dogma of sorts ...

Sounds like your interested in this sort of thing... I can only suggest you start reading up.. the internet is full of info - no need for any course - the next step is to start buying tools - once a week, get yourself a small hand tool of some sort, then once a month get something more substantial like a vise, or dremel - then once a year get yourself something really grand like a mill, lathe or welder ... The more tools you have, the more your head starts being able to think past the 'I dont have the tools' barrier and gets things going (obvious really, but still hard to accept) ...

Oh yeh, buy good quality tools - a file that costs twice as much as the cheaper file will last longer than twice as long, and still give better results !

yes I am interested in this side of things, theres alot of work in the UK that "expands" the possibility of film ie how we come to it, theres a good website called http://www.luxonline.org.uk/ its a nice website where you can browse alot of peoples work...when you think about it there are so many possibilities............ out of curiosity is the bolex your main weapon of choice?

Edited by Damien Bhatti, 12 June 2007 - 01:15 PM.

#13 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

out of curiosity is the bolex your main weapon of choice?

yep, The other day I looked around and found there was 7 of them in the house - RX2, J, RX4, RX5, SB and two EL's ... only 4 of them mine though ;)

I'll have a closer look at that site later tonight !

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Tai Audio