#1 Natalie Saito

Natalie Saito
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

pretty impressive light with the exception that it dims overtime. how bright do these LED lights (47-440Hz, 40w, 0.25 amps) get? how is the quality of light it emits in comparison to kino-flos or hmis? and what is the difference in the amount of power it uses (amps) i comparison with those 2 lights..generally speaking? thanks a bunch! -Natalie

#2 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

Well, I think you answered one of your questions, 40watts is consumed to run those at full brightness. How many amps depends on the voltage, but its probably driven off 12v, so you can do the math. maybe 4 amps? it might be driven off more or less, so check the transformer if it has and external, or the power rating tab on the back. it will list voltage and wattage used.

In comparison to HMIs or Kinos, I would say they are closer to Kinos in terms of quality. I am guessing your looking at the panel type LEDs, so they have a soft light output, since its spread over the surface of the light face. You can roughly estimate output by comparing it to a floro or HMI of the same wattage (they are all rougly as effecient, LEDs being slightly less so than HMI, though good luck finding a 40w HMI)

I am not sure what brand your talking about, however, but it confuses me why it has such a range in operating frequency. Unless its frequency modulation as apposed to pulse width modulation (or they count the frequency as just twice the on time, not the combination of on and off time) but it should be useful in just about any frame rate. The higher the frame rate, the less you will want to dim though, if you cannot test it. You will never get the phase shift that floros get when using high frame rates or short shutters, LEDs turn on and off in mere nano-seconds, and do not have a pronounced color swing when turning on (also why it has such a low frequency range confuses me, I'd imagine it would be around 1Khz PWM...but I am no expert).

CineLab

The Slider

Opal

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS