4 replies to this topic

#1 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

I have finally got my ebm together with a kern switar 16-100mm poe. Now on the lens it came with a "tiffen photar sky1 a series 9" filter. I am going to be shooting black and white soon in morning mid morning light and was wondering whether this was acceptable...what kinds of filters would i need? And a very basic question, where are the filter holders on the ebm body? is it similiar to the rx's? Thanks,

#2 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 13 June 2007 - 06:32 PM

I have finally got my ebm together with a kern switar 16-100mm poe. Now on the lens it came with a "tiffen photar sky1 a series 9" filter. I am going to be shooting black and white soon in morning mid morning light and was wondering whether this was acceptable...what kinds of filters would i need? And a very basic question, where are the filter holders on the ebm body? is it similiar to the rx's? Thanks,

that's a UV filter, pretty much used by many as a standard lens protector ... and yip it should be helpful in the conditions you quote in reducing UV flare/haze (more definition/contrast) - series 9 refers to the fact its a threadless system held in place by the lens hood ...

With black and white you have a much more elaborate collection of possible filters to choose from depending on the look you are after - some popular choices with outdoors are polarising filters but you'll have to find one in series 9 (rare = $$$) or a large one that can be simply taped on the front or a matte-box style system (more $$$) as you wont find a rotatable gel polariser for the filter slot... Also a red or yellow (or any thing in between) filter will increase the contrast between clouds and blue sky (dramatic!) they will also tend make Caucasian faces 'pop' - all filters will take a certain factor of light away from the meat hitting the film - make sure you adjust for this in your light meter readings - eg, polarisers take often take around 2.5 to 3 stops and a red filter 3 stops - nice for reducing DOF ... Even your skylight takes a snippet but nothing worth worrying about...

Other filters such as diffusion and ND grads etc. work the same as in color ... Go to any filter manufacturers site and have a read up on the effects, you'll find something that sounds nifty soon enough - then choke at the price (B+W/Schneider for example), even wratten gel filters are vomit inducing in cost ...

As for the filter slot, have a fiddle with all the knobs/thingies on the front near the bayonet housing - pull, push, switch - you'll figure it out and its all pretty solid so you wont break anything...

have fun, and welcome to Team Bolex!

#3 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:27 PM

filter will increase the contrast between clouds and blue sky (dramatic!) they will also tend make Caucasian faces 'pop' - all filters will take a certain factor of light away from the meat hitting the film - make sure you adjust for this in your light meter readings - eg, polarisers take often take around 2.5 to 3 stops and a red filter 3 stops - nice for reducing DOF ... Even your skylight takes a snippet but nothing worth worrying about...

i would like a shallow dof because some of the scenes of the surrounding area arent important as what the character is acting. ( So i guess I need to go hunting, btw you wouldnt happen to know where there might be an example of this kind of effect on the net? ) I have got a sekonic light meter, 558 cine, does it have any built in filter preset options? thanks for the advice!

Edited by Damien Bhatti, 14 June 2007 - 12:28 PM.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:46 PM

i would like a shallow dof because some of the scenes of the surrounding area arent important as what the character is acting. ( So i guess I need to go hunting, btw you wouldnt happen to know where there might be an example of this kind of effect on the net? ) I have got a sekonic light meter, 558 cine, does it have any built in filter preset options? thanks for the advice!

I think the sekonic cine meters do actually have preset filter options, pretty minimal - but I think 1,2 and 3 stop ND are in there (look for 0.3, 0.6 or 0.9 respectively, if that makes no sense search for 'filter factor' and 'ND' on wikipedia) ...

As for effects of low DOF - well, they're everywhere ! as are unfortunatly many examples of the opposite also - I was watching Lost the other night, some pretty low DOF stuff going on there (always with the fires going in the background) ... as for films there is the classic Barry Lyndon but I'm not sure if low DOF was the exact effect they were after as opposed to haveing candle light as the only source - recently I remember The Prestige had a lot of anamorphic bokeh (low DOF) ...

I'm sure others will have a myriad of other examples to add ...

#5 Damien Bhatti

Damien Bhatti
  • Sustaining Members
  • 213 posts
  • Student
  • UK

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:11 PM

I think the sekonic cine meters do actually have preset filter options, pretty minimal - but I think 1,2 and 3 stop ND are in there (look for 0.3, 0.6 or 0.9 respectively, if that makes no sense search for 'filter factor' and 'ND' on wikipedia) ...

As for effects of low DOF - well, they're everywhere ! as are unfortunatly many examples of the opposite also - I was watching Lost the other night, some pretty low DOF stuff going on there (always with the fires going in the background) ... as for films there is the classic Barry Lyndon but I'm not sure if low DOF was the exact effect they were after as opposed to haveing candle light as the only source - recently I remember The Prestige had a lot of anamorphic bokeh (low DOF) ...

I'm sure others will have a myriad of other examples to add ...

thanks Nick, hopefully i will up load it when i have finished it and you can tell me what you think...

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider