#1 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles / Reading, UK

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

I took a trip to Panavision Woodland Hills today to have a look around the labs and the factory etc. We also set up a G2 and stuff to get familiar with loading and handling it.

The educational supervisior, Ric Halpern was the chap helping us all out, and i have to say, he is one of the nicest guys i have ever met. We were all chilling in one of the prep bays with my teacher (who knows Ric as a friend) and Ric came up to us and said 'You guys go to Columbia College right? I have a present for you'. SO he goes to his secret hidey hole and pulls out a massive box with a Panahead gear head in it. He says 'this is for you guys, take it back to school and say Panavaision have donated this to your school'. I was so excited i couldn't even contain it, I have wanted frequent access to a gear head for a long time in able to increase my confidence it, and now I can! YES!

I could not be more happy at this moment!

He also whacked out the old Barry Lyndon lens for us to look at!

Panavision - You are awesome!

A good news day today!

Jamie McIntyre,

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

I always thought that JDC had the complete Barry Lyndon set? I suppose it may have been split up.

Cool news about the geared heads, congrats! Hope you enjoy it - my advice is to practice in small chunks instead of big ones. 5-10 minutes a day for a week or two should get you into good shape.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

He also whacked out the old Barry Lyndon lens for us to look at!

I think you must mean the old "Lawrence of Arabia" lens -- Kubrick didn't shoot Panavision and the original Zeiss f/0.7 lenses ended up at JDC in the U.K.

#4 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:51 PM

Well it was a zeiss 0.7 lens.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

Well it was a zeiss 0.7 lens.

Maybe they were on loan from JDC. I can't imagine why Panavision would have one -- the lens was special-made by Zeiss for NASA still cameras, had to be modified by Cinema Products to fit on Kubrick's rack-over Mitchell, and the Mitchell itself had to be modified to take them by shaving the gate thinner where the back of the lens hit it, so you can't really use the lens on any other camera but Kubrick's Mitchell.

Panavision has some T/1.1 or 1.0 lenses used on "Days of Heaven".

#6 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

Yeah! He said it had a manual shutter built in the lens used for still photography. That was the one!

:)

#7 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:59 AM

Ric is a great guy (he posts here some, or at least once), Panavision is also a great company in general.

I have known Ric for years and years, he has helped me a lot over that time. I posted some bleach bypass testing I did on here a while ago, Ric and Dan Sasaki (before he left) helped me get that organized. I still owe him lunch.

Kevin Zanit

#8 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:46 AM

Maybe they were on loan from JDC. I can't imagine why Panavision would have one -- the lens was special-made by Zeiss for NASA still cameras, had to be modified by Cinema Products to fit on Kubrick's rack-over Mitchell, and the Mitchell itself had to be modified to take them by shaving the gate thinner where the back of the lens hit it, so you can't really use the lens on any other camera but Kubrick's Mitchell.

Panavision has some T/1.1 or 1.0 lenses used on "Days of Heaven".

Hi David,

Stanley Kubrick's Mitchell & NASA Zeiss lenses are in Zurich at the Stanley Kubrick Exhibition for the next few months.

Stephen

#9 Jimmy Browning

Jimmy Browning
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:56 AM

I took a trip to Panavision Woodland Hills today to have a look around the labs and the factory etc. We also set up a G2 and stuff to get familiar with loading and handling it.

The educational supervisior, Ric Halpern was the chap helping us all out, and i have to say, he is one of the nicest guys i have ever met. We were all chilling in one of the prep bays with my teacher

I was working a few stalls over from you guys :)

Panavision's a great place to be. Most of the people there are really helpful and friendly, Ric definitely being among them.

Jimmy

P.S. If you go there again some time, ask for an iced mocha at the coffee bar. It's not on the menu. I'm addicted to those things!

#10 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

Really? Haha thats cool! Small world.

What camera were you prepping?

I went and had a look at all the bays, I was just being nosey :)

#11 Jimmy Browning

Jimmy Browning
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

I was fooling around with a Millenium XL. There was an AC next to me practicing the panahead with a laser pointer.

#12 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, i spoke to him quite a bit.

He was the operator on 'John from Cincinnati' and a couple of shots from 'An inconvenient truth'

I recall seeing you there, what were you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Jamie.

#13 Jimmy Browning

Jimmy Browning
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

I'm an intern. When things are slow I grab equipment and throw it up in the stalls and mess with it until I know it well. My usual shift is 10-5, but I try to get there as soon as they open and stay until they kick me out. It's an awesome experience interning there, I highly recommend it.

#14 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

I hear applying for Internship there is near impossible to even be considered. I go back to England for the Summer but i return in September. COuld you please provide some details about how i would go about applying. I have also applied at Birns And Sawyer too.

Panavision are not open at weekends are they?

Cheers,

Jamie

#15 Jimmy Browning

Jimmy Browning
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

Sure, just empty your inbox so I can send you a message ;)

#16 Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:38 PM

Oh, I' sorry. Haha.

Just emptied it :)

Cheers.

#17 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Panavision is not really open on weekends; there is usually one person in receiving there on Saturdays though.

#18 chris dye

chris dye
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 16 June 2007 - 02:16 AM

Panavision is a helpful, cool company. I took the free one day course there about ten years ago and got some hands on experience with some of their gear. Looking through that viewfinder with anamorphic lens was inspiring just by itself. For the LONGEST time, I wondered what it looked like through that viewfinder. It was awesome. I love that widescreen.

Years before that, I spent a day at General Camera NY (which turned into Panavison NY). I got to play with Moviecams, Arri's and Panavisions for the very first time after years of trying to figure out how to get some hands on experience with any professional movie cameras. This wasn't as easy as it seems nowadays.

Back in the day (late 80's, early 90's) when I set out to learn about and get experience with professional movie cameras (especially Panavision because it was the most elusive camera to me) , there was little information and little access to these cameras (or so it seemed to me at the time).

I remember writing to Panavision back in early 1990 and asking for a copy of their camera manuel (if it even existed), so I can learn the threading diagrams, etc. A few weeks later I got a fat package in the mail from them. Needless to say I was excited. A fat package is a good package. I opened it up and it turned out to be the new Panaflex User's Manual that they literally just had published. It wasn't even available in stores yet. Such a weird coincidence that I write asking for a manual and they literally had one just published. They gave it to me as a gift and told me 'good luck'. Thanks, Panavision.

I also remember wondering if Panavison had T shirts with their logo on it and not long after I saw Clint Eastwood wearing one on TV which was showing behind the scenes of The Rookie. Now how do I go about getting one? This wasn't easy back then. As fate would have it, I finally got on a real movie as a camera intern and someone had a box of Panavision shirts (even though they actually used Arri cameras though they were rented out of General Camera NY). I begged and begged for one. I finally got one, but boy did I have to EARN it. Now you can just go buy one in their store.

Oh, yeah, I loved getting their Christmas cards every year, too.

Edited by chris dye, 16 June 2007 - 02:16 AM.

#19 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:10 PM

Jamie, Jimmy,

As a moderator I would like to kindly ask you not to quote the post you reply to each time you post. When you post right after the one you reply to there is no doubt and no need to do so.

It helps a lot reading the thread and saves bandwith on the server.

I know a reason why people do this. They hit the "reply" button at the end of the post they reply to. It actually quotes that post in your reply. Sometimes it is usefull to do so, when you quote an older post or only a part of it (since you can edit it) for instance. But most of the times, you only need to reply after the post, then hit the "add reply" button at the end of the thread, instead.

Thanks very much,

Regards

#20 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:13 PM

As a moderator...not to quote the post you reply to each time...

Or clean them up like I just did like Geoff requires on CML?

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera