#1 Michael Louis Hill

Michael Louis Hill
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Student
  • New York City

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

It's been a long time since I've posted...but i had a question.

I'm shooting a red carpet event with a DVX and i was wondering how these events are usually lit. I've tried looking at some pictures online to get an idea. it seems that there are a lot of baby's and some HMI fixtures being used. I will not have my own space to shoot in...as in i'm not doing this for the E! channel etc...so it will be run and gun, can't imagine setting up any lights.

Is the best option to get an on board light then? Are those lights that i see provided by each television crew? Is there usually enough illumination out there? Will i be out of place with a video light on board? I've never used one so i don't want to be blinding people with it...sorry for the ignorance.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

I would have someone with you handhold a kino on battery power (or AC but I'm assuming you won't ahve power access)

#3 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

It's been a long time since I've posted...but i had a question.

I'm shooting a red carpet event with a DVX and i was wondering how these events are usually lit. I've tried looking at some pictures online to get an idea. it seems that there are a lot of baby's and some HMI fixtures being used. I will not have my own space to shoot in...as in i'm not doing this for the E! channel etc...so it will be run and gun, can't imagine setting up any lights.

Is the best option to get an on board light then? Are those lights that i see provided by each television crew? Is there usually enough illumination out there? Will i be out of place with a video light on board? I've never used one so i don't want to be blinding people with it...sorry for the ignorance.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated! Thanks!

-Mike

Make sure you have a sun gun or some other portable light. You will get a lot of shadows with people blocking the HMI's, etc. that will need to be filled in. :)

#4 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:29 PM

An oncamera light is a must and that's what people commonly use. The quarters are generally very close so you don't need a hugely powerful one. I reccomend a Litepanel with some light diffusion.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Abel Cine