#1 Christophe Collette

Christophe Collette
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Montreal, Canada

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

Hi everyone, I am shooting video this coming tuesday, day for night exteriors in a forest, it should be a sunny day, there are some wide shots involved but I managed to find locations which prevent me to see too much sky. I have no access to lights whatsoever. All I have is a 4x4 mirror, I will try to shoot backlit for most of it, will underexpose two stops, this is a shoot in 35mm, 5205, we had a deal on the stock, so I plan on using a 1.5ND and a 80b filter. What I worry mostly about is seeing enough of my subject under covered forest ground, there won't be a lot of light to backlight him... He will dress in pale colors, which should help me a bit... I was wondering if make up for paler skin would help a bit...

Any ideas??? I research the topic but found nothing satisfying,

Thanks!

C

#2 Xavier Plaza

Xavier Plaza
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Guayaquil - Ecuador

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:09 PM

Hi Christophe about day for night take a look in the january edition ASC magazine, Pans Labyrinth, there Guillermo Navarro use this technique, and in this issue thereĀ“re some tips, take a look of it... :D

http://www.ascmag.co...rinth/page1.php

#3 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

Hi everyone, I am shooting video this coming tuesday, day for night exteriors in a forest, it should be a sunny day, there are some wide shots involved but I managed to find locations which prevent me to see too much sky. I have no access to lights whatsoever. All I have is a 4x4 mirror, I will try to shoot backlit for most of it, will underexpose two stops, this is a shoot in 35mm, 5205, we had a deal on the stock, so I plan on using a 1.5ND and a 80b filter. What I worry mostly about is seeing enough of my subject under covered forest ground, there won't be a lot of light to backlight him... He will dress in pale colors, which should help me a bit... I was wondering if make up for paler skin would help a bit...

Any ideas??? I research the topic but found nothing satisfying,

Thanks!

C

Christopher...
You can utilize existing sunlight if you expose for its direct reading. This should render value of the highlight on the faces (Edge Light) at zone V/VI which is about the value of the Moonlite on the face when you try to simulate it.
I would keep direction of the Sun at 3/4 Back as this will keep unlit bakground dark with your underexposure. Avoid Low Cam Angle as showing the sky will ruin your "Night". You can bounce 3/4 Back Sun into the faces in CU's and pick up bit of exposure. Just protect your Lens from that Sunlight. In this case I would color in Post.

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Tai Audio