4 replies to this topic

#1 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:14 PM

I have been using Anton Bauer Dionic's with two tandem lightweight portable chargers. Lately, I've noticed that the tandem charger's 3 gold posts seem to get pretty hot while they are charging. The 3 gold posts are on the opposite side of where the batteries are attached to the charger and get hot to the touch while the batteries are charging. It may be that the batteries are starting to show their age but I'm just wondering, should I have a more standard anton bauer charger in addition to the two portable tandem chargers that I use?

Is it possible that as the Dionic batteries age they should be charged on a more high end Anton Bauer charger that reconditions them? I can't believe those gold posts getting so hot can be good for a camera. The tandem charger can also be used as a camera power supply so when it is attached to an expensive HD or Betacam SP camera it will start charging a battery when the camera is turned off. I can't believe those 3 gold posts that attach to the camera getting very warm can be a good thing for the camera.

What concerns me is Anton Bauer seems primarily interested in hving their chargers work as power supplies as well. The result is the power supply option, which I do not want, actually either slows down the charging cycle if multiple batteries are charging simultaneously, or, if the charger charges at the faster rate it only charges one battery at a time. NEITHER is what I want.

What I want is a charger that charges at least two batteries simultaneously at the fastest rate they allow and I'll gladly go with NO POWER SUPPLY as a compromise to make that happen. I also would want a manual override switch so I can instantly defeat the chargers potential desire to go into test mode or some other mode that delays the actual charging cycle of the battery.

If the 2 Tandem chargers that I own were strictly a fast charger with no power supply option, in theory Anton Bauer could lower the price point from 500 dollars and come out with a bare bones version that has no power supply option for around 300 dollars while still being a fast charger.

One conclusion I have come to is this dang power supply option is probably a critical back-up option on bigger shoots where cameras are on dollies or sticks. However for smaller crews shooting on the go where the less the wires connected between equipment the better, the power supply option is just an unnecessary value added item that basically just keep the product price points higher than necessary.

It really feels to me like the power supply option is being forced upon the market because it must be an excellent profit margin item for Anton Bauer. It looks like Anton Bauer would rather sell a Tandem Charger / Power Supply at 500 dollars versus selling a fast charger that just fast charges only for like 300 bucks.

I'd like to see Anton Bauer just sell both versions and let the buyer decide what they need. It's my opinon as well that Anton Bauer should give the user the ability to override the charger when the charger wants to go through some time-consuming battery re-conditioning procedure prior to charging, or at the very least, choose between a fast re-conditioning cycle versus a longer reconditioning cycle.

Any on set experiences someone would like to share about charging the Anton Bauer Batteries?

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hey Brad, would this topic be more appropriate in the Camera Assistants forum?

I'd really like to hear about the experiences of others using Anton Bauer Chargers since I'll be needing to get one in the near future.

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hey Brad, would this topic be more appropriate in the Camera Assistants forum?

No, it's fine here. This topic isn't assistant specific.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

No, it's fine here. This topic isn't assistant specific.

Ok.

I was just thinking that sometimes it's the assistants that lord over the charger and the charging of the batteries and they are the ones that get yelled at if a battery isn't ready, or they get asked when the battery is going to be ready. The research I've done shows that certain Anton Bauer chargers that do simultaneous charging take twice as long to charge as the ones that charge sequentially, but then that means that sequential chargers are actually slower than just buying two portable Titan Tandem 70 chargers, but the Titan Tandem 70 chargers make me nervous since those three gold posts can get hot to the touch while charging.

#5 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

Rather than start another topic. What about lead batteries. I see lead batteries by Bescor that have over 200 Watt hours that sell for between 250-350 dollars. Fezzi, PAG and Anton Bauer also make lead batteries I think, but they seem to be for a LOT more money, just what is the difference? One difference I have noticed is that the more expensive batteries have a 30 / 13 volt option. What if I only want a 13 volt lead battery, does the other well know brands still have to cost twice or three times what Bescor sells it for?

Are any lead batteries actually made in the USA? I don't mean lead batteries made elsewhere and assembled in the USA, I mean actually made in the USA?

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

CineTape

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Tai Audio