#1 Jason Price

Jason Price

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

After checking out lots of different cameras, I thought I had finally found exactly what I was looking for in the DVX100B. Then I found a review that mentioned a "chroma patterning" problem. Here's the link:

http://www.adamwilt....terning_problem

I plan to do a considerable amount of greenscreen work, so this is a concern. I know that no camera is perfect (especially in this price range), and even the DV format itself isn't the best for chroma keying, so it seems like a minor issue given that I like everything else about the camera.

Has anyone here had problems keying/compositing with footage from your DVX100? From the look of the example they gave on that website, it seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue if you have decent software (like Combustion, for instance).

Thanks

-Jason Price

#2 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

When we were looking at the DVX as a replacement for our 2nd camera, I read that review as well. However, that is the only place that I could find which referenced that particular problem. So the conclusion I drew was that the problem he encountered may have been unique to his camera, or at least very rare.

The long and short of it is we bought a DVX100a and have since used it extensively for our commercial work, including chroma work. It hasn't given us any problems with keying. It certainly has been no worse than the Betacam Sp's that we've relied on for so long.

So long as you're set lighting is good, the challenge, as always, is with the software... Thank God we no longer rely on Media100 for keying!!

Abel Cine

Opal

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC