#1 Babar Khan

Babar Khan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I was just about to send my Rex5 to JK to convert to S16 until I saw this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

Now I am wondering if I would be better off getting this camera and possibly selling my Rex.

Can someone confirm that this is a Bolex factory S16? Is this the 13X or 14X finder? Late model? I'm not that familiar with the newer Bolexes coming out of the factory. This seems like a very good deal to me considering the price of a conversion.

Also can someone tell me if there is a weight difference between the Rex5 and SBM? Any other internal differences to be aware of re the movement?

Thanks in advance!!

#2 Babar Khan

Babar Khan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

Anyone?

Hello,

I was just about to send my Rex5 to JK to convert to S16 until I saw this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/w...ADME:L:RTQ:CA:1

Now I am wondering if I would be better off getting this camera and possibly selling my Rex.

Can someone confirm that this is a Bolex factory S16? Is this the 13X or 14X finder? Late model? I'm not that familiar with the newer Bolexes coming out of the factory. This seems like a very good deal to me considering the price of a conversion.

Also can someone tell me if there is a weight difference between the Rex5 and SBM? Any other internal differences to be aware of re the movement?

Thanks in advance!!

#3 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:12 PM

Yes, it seems a very late camera and factory S16. I would contact Paillard with the serial # of the camera, they will be able to confirm.

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

Yep - get that one ...

It could have been made anytime from the early 70's I think right up till yesterday ... thats what you get if you buy new today... So they could reduce parts they made the new SBM's that dark mottled complexion which is the same used for the EL ...

As for the weight, pretty much the same - internals exactly the same, or at least the most up to date version as your RX5...

Its pretty much the most desirable wind-up there is (unless turrets are your thing) ...

I dont know about 14x finders but it certainly is a 13x - I even had a guess that the '14x' finder is just a natural outcome of a super16 mod - you have to extend the view of the right side of frame by replacing the mask above the prism, and your 13x automagically becomes a 14x ... so its nothing to do with magnifying diopters ... Just a theory though.

#5 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

Gorgeous.

#6 Babar Khan

Babar Khan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thanks so much guys! Very helpful and much appreciated!

#7 AdamBray

AdamBray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Student
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:51 AM

Damn. Nice camera at a great price. If I did not just buy a Rex4 a few weeks ago I would buy this one in a heartbeat. I'd be clicking that Buy IT Now button.

Strange that it's on Ebay Canada, and it says the seller is in Reno, Nevada but the camera itself is in Oceanside, California.

Edited by AdamBray, 21 June 2007 - 03:53 AM.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Visual Products

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc