LOOKING FOR DP

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 juan kostar

juan kostar
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

LOOKING FOR DP WITH HIS OWN EQUIPMENT FOR A VERY SHORT SUBJECT,
HD CAMERA, LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA AREA.....
POSSIBLE PAY, ONE DAY SHOOT

#2 John Mastrogiacomo

John Mastrogiacomo
  • Sustaining Members
  • 210 posts
  • Other
  • Las Vegas, NV

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:01 AM

Sounds like this should be posted on craigslist.com B)

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

Oh, wow. So we can supply our own equipment so you save money and we probably won't get paid. Awesome.

Learn to have more realistic expectations. What you're asking won't get you a professional.

#4 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

And Chris, don't forget to bring your lights and a sandwhich.

Edited by chuck colburn, 20 June 2007 - 05:06 PM.

#5 juan kostar

juan kostar
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

Oh, wow. So we can supply our own equipment so you save money and we probably won't get paid. Awesome.

Learn to have more realistic expectations. What you're asking won't get you a professional.

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A PROFESSIONAL AND TALENTED DP LIKE YOU, I'M JUST LOOKING FOR A PERSON WHO LOVES HIS CRAFT AND WILLING TO WORK IN PROJECT THAT ENJOYS TO BE PART OF IT.

#6 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

Good Luck
If you are implying that we don't love our craft you are really big mistaken
what I would do in you case is , rent the camera for a day and get the shoot over with

Best

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'M NOT LOOKING FOR A PROFESSIONAL AND TALENTED DP LIKE YOU, I'M JUST LOOKING FOR A PERSON WHO LOVES HIS CRAFT AND WILLING TO WORK IN PROJECT THAT ENJOYS TO BE PART OF IT.

I'm just telling you something that might help you. The vast majority of filmmakers are not rich and need to make money for their time spent.

#8 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:03 AM

You're on a site with quite qualified and professional DP's. When you come in asking for one with an HD camera, you'll get blank stares from pros like you'll find here, because we don't own our equipment in most cases, we rent it. The suggestion on posting to craigslist I feel is a valid one.

#9 Rick Seefreid

Rick Seefreid

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

You're on a site with quite qualified and professional DP's. When you come in asking for one with an HD camera, you'll get blank stares from pros like you'll find here, because we don't own our equipment in most cases, we rent it. The suggestion on posting to craigslist I feel is a valid one.

It must be a good job, it's in CAPITALS.

#10 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

It must be a good job, it's in CAPITALS.

Is that how you tell? And to think I keep finding these jobs in lowercase letters that pay...

#11 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:07 PM

You're on a site with quite qualified and professional DP's.

And then I walk in...

:lol:

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 21 June 2007 - 07:08 PM.

#12 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

If you want somebody with their own equipment, including lights & HD camera, you HAVE to at least be able to pay a kit fee.

"POSSIBLE PAY..." COME ON!!!

#13 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

I don't see what this person did wrong. He is not forcing anyone to take the job- he is putting it out there for those who are interested on his terms. If you don't like his terms, then don't take the job- it's as simple as that! I don't think anyone here should be insulting him or lecturing him on this. He posted this looking for help and laid the terms out plainly for everyone to see. I don't see why everyone who posts an ad for unpaid work should have to be insulted. If the job is not to your liking, don't take it!

#14 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:55 PM

Its not so much he did anything wrong, its that someone will actually take this job. What this does is lower all low-budget pay from little to nothing. If producers can't find free labor they have no choice but to either pay something or not do the shoot.

And with these cheaper "HD" cameras (I still don't consider anything under $80,000 a professional HD camera) being more available, you have more unqualified owner operators willing to step in.

I love my craft, which is why I don't bother taking work that can't/ won't afford to pay for my tools, if they can't pay a kit fee, then they definitely can't pay for any of the gear that lets me do a job to my standards.

#15 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

Its not so much he did anything wrong, its that someone will actually take this job. What this does is lower all low-budget pay from little to nothing. If producers can't find free labor they have no choice but to either pay something or not do the shoot.

And with these cheaper "HD" cameras (I still don't consider anything under $80,000 a professional HD camera) being more available, you have more unqualified owner operators willing to step in.

I love my craft, which is why I don't bother taking work that can't/ won't afford to pay for my tools, if they can't pay a kit fee, then they definitely can't pay for any of the gear that lets me do a job to my standards.

I give this message two big thumbs-up.

#16 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:15 AM

Big thumbs up here!

I guess deep down that is the reason I still shoot on film rather than "just buy an HD camera" like I've been encouraged to by a few productions. Immediately it tells me how serious the production is. If they balk at film cost, they're less likely to pay me.

#17 Mike Panczenko

Mike Panczenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Philadelphia, USA

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

I understand what you're saying, but I think a lot of it has to depend on the nature of the job. If it had some budget behind it, and could pay people, but chose not to for whatever reason, I think that would be a much different issue. Then it does absolutely weaken the stance of workers. But on other jobs, where they are have 2000 dollars in the budget, and they state upfront the terms of the job, I feel that is very different. There, the movie wouldn't be made if they paid people, and obviously they would be going with people who want to learn, or who had very little experience and wanted to get a experiment and further their craft. Who didn't take the latter type of job when they were starting out? So, I definitely hear what you're saying Kevin, and I agree with you when the budget is there and they hoard it, but on other types of jobs, I think if they state plainly up front the terms of the job, then there is no inherent reason why a freebie job should be wrong. How many established ACs and electrics decide to shoot a student film for meals and credit so they can build their reel?

#18 Chris Fernando

Chris Fernando
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:04 AM

I understand what you're saying, but I think a lot of it has to depend on the nature of the job. If it had some budget behind it, and could pay people, but chose not to for whatever reason, I think that would be a much different issue. Then it does absolutely weaken the stance of workers. But on other jobs, where they are have 2000 dollars in the budget, and they state upfront the terms of the job, I feel that is very different. There, the movie wouldn't be made if they paid people, and obviously they would be going with people who want to learn, or who had very little experience and wanted to get a experiment and further their craft. Who didn't take the latter type of job when they were starting out? So, I definitely hear what you're saying Kevin, and I agree with you when the budget is there and they hoard it, but on other types of jobs, I think if they state plainly up front the terms of the job, then there is no inherent reason why a freebie job should be wrong. How many established ACs and electrics decide to shoot a student film for meals and credit so they can build their reel?

Hey I'll do it for free, just go ahead and put every last penny of my salary up on the screen in 35. BTW my salary is $25,000,000.

Oh yeah I'll need a color corrected HD master of that at some point as well.

#19 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

...I don't bother taking work that can't/ won't afford to pay for my tools, if they can't pay a kit fee, then they definitely can't pay for any of the gear that lets me do a job to my standards.

Getting a liability clause signed by the producers is a good idea too. If you have a crew that was assembled by them, and they're handling YOUR equipment, the production should be responsible for anything that happens to your gear.

On a recent gig, the DP was fired from the set for a couple hours after a mag was broken when the AC didn't lock it in correctly (NOT ME!) and he tried to get them to sign the form AFTER THE FACT. He had an Aaton XTR S16 and the full set of Cooke primes...so you can see why he might want some coverage on his own gear.

#20 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:57 PM

OMG!! OMG!! IM TOTAL PRO DP!!! OWN 2 BROKEN SUPER 8 CAMERA, LIVE 5,000 MILES AWAY, HAVE NO INTEREST IN PERFORMING MI BESTS, COULD RUN AWAY

WHEN DO i START?

And then I walk in...

:lol:

Followed by me. :)

Ritter Battery

Opal

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Technodolly