#1 Ernie Zahn

Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:45 PM

So I'm new to HD and quite frankly a little confused. I just had some Super-8 footage telecined to HD in 1080. It was recorded to MiniDV which doesn't retain HD, but since it was recorded with HD equipment still delivers a better picture than SD by itself (Am I right so far?). For my next attempt at HD telecine I'm going to use HDV tape stock by Sony with an HD camera and then capture this into Final Cut HD with it selected to the proper device for capturing. That latter process will deliver the best quality, as I understand it. But there is HDCam that delivers an even better HD picture. I've already seen samples of HDV and very satisfied with, and at the moment, have no interest in upping to HDCam. BUT if my film is x-ferred to HD with HDV then captured with an HD device into an HD program (FCPHD), what would be my best option for distributing for festivals? i.e. If a festival has an HD Projector and accepts HD video would an HD Tape of the film be acceptable? Or is there another format I should put it to? As I understand even if the HD video was uncompressed an still under 8 gigs (short film) a DVD Dual Layer would still not be HD correct? So my best option for HD exhibition is keeping it on my HDV tape.

Please excuse me if this post sunds sarcastic, I really just want to understand this. I'm not trying to sound fresh.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam