Photo

Actors, Writers And Directors on Strike??

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:42 PM

EW just wrote an artical stating that Actors, Writers and Directors unions are planing on striking if they don't get more money for DVD and merchendise. Of course the studios are saying they can't aford to give them more money. It stated that they will meet in July some time. If they end up getting more money shouldn't cinematographers and editors get more as well?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:46 PM

If they end up getting more money shouldn't cinematographers and editors get more as well?

Well if editors and cinematographers get more, why not the whole crew? They often need it more than above the line people. Unfortunately, that's just not how things work.

#3 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:53 PM

Well if editors and cinematographers get more, why not the whole crew? They often need it more than above the line people. Unfortunately, that's just not how things work.

I agree, if they all get more money we'll have $75.00 movie tickets and $200.00 DVD's. Whats concedered "above the line" ?

#4 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

hmm if this is true then a brief stint in LA might be a good idea to get some work as studios rush to clear the strike date

#5 Nate Downes

Nate Downes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1638 posts
  • Florida, USA

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

Time to send in my resume to every studio, with the flag "not in union"... j/k

I do agree with the unions in how they're being handled on DVD, don't know enough about the other.

#6 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:59 AM

http://reclaimthemed...ockpile_sh=5233

i could not find the artical online but I found another that talks about the possible strike.

#7 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

The WGA contract is up first. The DGA and SAG contracts aren't up until next year I don't believe. But I've heard that the WGA doesn't plan on shutting anything down until after the holidays....but that's just hearsay.

#8 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

I'll be a scab for $5000.00 a day :D

R,

#9 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

I think that every film where an actor gets more than 10 million, that actor should have to split 10% of their pay with the crew after the film wraps.
Make it tax deductible if you'd like, but it would be nice to do, wouldn't it? I can't imagine them legitimately being able to complain about it. $10 mil for 3-6 months of ANY kind of work is certainly sufficient wages.

#10 rik carter

rik carter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Director
  • Hollywood

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

But the business end of show business isn't about being fair - it's about business. When the general movie going public stops asking, "Who's in it?" and starts going to movies based on who shot it then the pay scale will change.

I'm a WGA member (as well as 2 IA locals) so I'm a union guy. I agree we all should get a little more of the pie, but since it's the actors (and not any of us) who get the butts in the seats then I have no problem with what ever the studio agrees to pay them.

#11 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

From what I gather the writers big beef is reality Tv shows, Since its unscripted the writers are losing jobs so they want more money for the jobs they do get.

#12 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:47 AM

I think that every film where an actor gets more than 10 million, that actor should have to split 10% of their pay with the crew after the film wraps.

Don't hold your breath. Although I did hear that Keanu Reeves shared a bunch of his back end money from The Matrix with the effects crew that worked on the movie.

#13 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

If the movie bombs should the crew have to give back part of their wages?

How can you have it one way, and not the other?

R,

#14 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:14 PM

Wait a minute....... How can writers go on strike?

They work alone and unsupervised, calling a strike for day isn't really going to be noticed by anyone, is it?

#15 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

They work alone and unsupervised, calling a strike for day isn't really going to be noticed by anyone, is it?

They can put their finished pages in a drawer at home instead of turning them in. They might not stop thinking, but they can stop delivering.

-- J.S.

#16 Josh Brokenbourgh

Josh Brokenbourgh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 27 June 2007 - 04:58 PM

But the business end of show business isn't about being fair - it's about business. When the general movie going public stops asking, "Who's in it?" and starts going to movies based on who shot it then the pay scale will change.

I'm a WGA member (as well as 2 IA locals) so I'm a union guy. I agree we all should get a little more of the pie, but since it's the actors (and not any of us) who get the butts in the seats then I have no problem with what ever the studio agrees to pay them.

I agree with you on it being business Rik. Everybody in medium/big budgets rely on names and faces for sales. I also agree w/William with the issue of inflation has always been present, and will be for a long time.

But on the same note the people going on strike are simply frustrated or pressured by unions then right? Many do live in L.A. where cost of living is insane but - if your making enough to survive and maybe have the means to shoot your own stuff- then other alternatives need to be explored.

I personally have no union experience, but if the union majority rules to strike then what? You hang out at home and do what? Are they going to stand in front of theaters? Most of the general public could care less, they just want to see movies.

I am willing to bet the politics on this are insane and unfair too. There are people that have waited years just to work low level studio jobs that have the talent and the knowledge to make great looking film. Do you think Joe Schmoe is going to care if "Mr. So in So" doesn't have an acronym after his name? It's not heart surgery, normal people don't know... Haha :P

Yes, business is business. But soon enough media will inflate too far and the big fall hard. I don't want it to - I look forward to experiencing the big if given the chance. Finally what about just doing what you love and not paying attention to all of it...

#17 rik carter

rik carter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Director
  • Hollywood

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

Many writers aren't in the business to make enough to survive and maybe have money to shoot their own stuff. Most writers (maybe most - I'm not sure) are writers who want to earn a living writing and get a piece of the action when a movie (or TV show) they wrote does really well on DVD. We also want to be paid well and keep benefits while working on reality shows - a growing market.

Yes. If the union votes to strike then even those who voted against it go out.

No. We won't strike the theaters. The conflict isn't with the theater owners. We will walk the studios. The strike isn't to get the general public to understand what we do, it will be to force the signatory studios to give us what we want. A strike is no fun and it doesn't do either side any good.

Finally what about just doing what you love and not paying attention to all of it...

This only goes so far. You still need to earn a living. You can do what you love and not pay any attention to all of it as long as you are earning a living doing something else.

#18 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:12 AM

They do? Then what are all those writers doing in the "writer's room" of all of the TV shows that are on the air? And why are all of those writers working in offices on studio lots while the film they're writing is in pre-production?
It seems to me there is a bit of a misunderstanding of writers (and how they work) out there.

#19 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:19 AM

PS: The irony of a writers strike is that it may lead to more reality programming and not less.

True, but that's not really a bad thing for the writers. Nobody makes any money in syndication from reality shows, including studios, so the studios don't want to have to deal with that as much as the writers don't. I personally don't think there will be a strike. I think they'll work something out pretty quickly once they go into negotiations. But what the hell do I know? I'm just a below the line monkey.

#20 Andy_Alderslade

Andy_Alderslade
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1055 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, UK

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:16 AM

They do? Then what are all those writers doing in the "writer's room" of all of the TV shows that are on the air? And why are all of those writers working in offices on studio lots while the film they're writing is in pre-production?
It seems to me there is a bit of a misunderstanding of writers (and how they work) out there.

Writers rooms, studio lots, what are these strange words... I'd like to check with someone a bit odler than me but these things don't really exist here in the UK.

Unfortunatly a great deal of UK films and tv writing is produced by a very small pocket of people - who tend to be at least 60+.

Of course having the surname Davies tends to help.

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Glidecam

Tai Audio