Photo

Vivid color correction on HD/HDV footage?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Voitek Nosovski

Voitek Nosovski

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:15 AM

First of all, i know my question can be too basic to ask here since im not a pro and lack knowledge in a lot of fields of cinematography. I did, however, search those forums and found some answers but this is still a big secret to me.

||Im completely clueless as to where to search for information on color correction done in most music videos and tv commercials. |Im using some standard Vegas color curves, color correction stuff and it works pretty well to create a 16mm look for my footage. Now im completely obsessed with my quest to achieve somehow similar look the 35mm music videos with their really vivid colors, smooth skin etc. For what i understand most of it is done through:
- correct lighting
- telecine/cc

Now assumig that the subject is lit decently and make up is done, what to use to make those colors so damn VIVID. im aware of the argument of superiority of film to hd/hdv and i agree. But seeing raw 35mm footage and the same footage on TV as finished video i must say- it HAS to be possible.
How to do it with software like Vegas/AE or anything else thats affordable?
Playing with color correction usually affects the whole frame even if its secondary cc, magic bullet is too gritty for this.
Look at the green (grass, trees) in those pics- its a special kind of green i would like to get. The muted but vivid reds (tried saturation but its not that).
Please guide me!
|here is flickr set opf screengrabs for reference:
http://flickr.com/ph...57600462394166/

#2 James Compton

James Compton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:11 PM

Eventually, you will have to shoot some film. Just go and do it, you will thank yourself.
Go and shoot some Super 8 negative film like 7217 or 7218. Have a look at www.pro8mm.com.
Check out the FUJI VIVID 160T. Go shoot some. Now..... to fix up the video stuff you got.
Work in 10bit color space or use Color Finesse 2, which has floating point color space.
Secondary corrections/looks. Crush the shadow detail. Mess with the gamma.Blur the high lights.
Use After Effects to apply multiple layer masks/multiple corrections. Most of the stuff you need
comes with basic After Effects. You need only supply imagination. The only plugin I would recommend
is Color Finesse 2 by Synthetic Aperture.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:17 PM

It's also a case of "garbage in, garbage out" -- good 35mm film that's scanned on high-end equipment will always give you more color information to start with, compared to any video camera. When you start with limited color information, there's only so far you can push it before you start to create artifacts that make it fall short of the look you're going for.

The more you can isolate colors with the system you're using, the more you can tweak them. For instance, the green in that photo is shifted quite a bit toward blue. For any given color there is hue, value, and saturation; then you might try affecting the highlights, midtones, and shadows of the overall image and also each color channel (RGB). Keep in mind there are basic color principles that apply as well, like the fact that changing one color changes the perception of its complement -- in other words, enhancing the green and cyans (and eliminating the yellows) will make the remaining reds "pop" more by virtue of color contrast.

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Abel Cine

The Slider

Paralinx LLC