New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • india

Posted 24 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

hello
like we set the light meter at iso 400 if we shoot on DV or Beta for eg DSR 390 or 400,, at what iso do we set the meter if we using sony Z1U ..

thanx
abhijit abde

#2 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

depends on the gain setting. I rate a the Z1U at 320 at 0db. I imagine its the same for the V1U.

#3 John Larsen

John Larsen

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:12 AM

hello
like we set the light meter at iso 400 if we shoot on DV or Beta for eg DSR 390 or 400,, at what iso do we set the meter if we using sony Z1U ..

thanx
abhijit abde

Try this If you've got a ambient (or even a spot) meter and a gray card, you can test the camera yourself. Pretty simple, actually: Lock the camera down on a tripod, set auto iris, zoom into to a gray card that's flat-lit with a chimera or the like. See what f/stop your iris rolls to. Then, take your meter, set your shutter speed to 1/60th of a second, punch in an arbitrary ASA like say, 250, and take a reading. Manipulate your ASA until the f/stop on your meter matches the f-stop reading on your camera. Just be be safe, walk the light out and walk it in, making use of the inverse square law and re-do the test under different footcandles, low and high.

#4 abhijitabde

abhijitabde

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • india

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:33 AM

Try this If you've got a ambient (or even a spot) meter and a gray card, you can test the camera yourself. Pretty simple, actually: Lock the camera down on a tripod, set auto iris, zoom into to a gray card that's flat-lit with a chimera or the like. See what f/stop your iris rolls to. Then, take your meter, set your shutter speed to 1/60th of a second, punch in an arbitrary ASA like say, 250, and take a reading. Manipulate your ASA until the f/stop on your meter matches the f-stop reading on your camera. Just be be safe, walk the light out and walk it in, making use of the inverse square law and re-do the test under different footcandles, low and high.

hello John

thanks for the advice,i know this method and i usually do that if im on a shoot when i have a new camera or a camera thats hired from a place i dunno,,,,
my meter was with a friend of mine and i couldn't have done this test so i was hoping someone would tell me at what ISO ideally it is rated ,,
well one more thing John,, does the rating change if the camera is used ??i mean does it differ from new camera to a used one ..

thanx
abhijit abde

#5 abhijitabde

abhijitabde

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • india

Posted 03 July 2007 - 06:36 AM

depends on the gain setting. I rate a the Z1U at 320 at 0db. I imagine its the same for the V1U.

hello David
thanks a lot,,, so is 320 the ideal rating for a Z1U like we have 400 for sond D35 or D50

#6 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

For safety I would check but yes - The Z1U at 0db is ISO 320.

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Glidecam

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport