2 replies to this topic

#1 thomas-english

thomas-english
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Steadicam Operator

Posted 24 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

What should I look out for when buying an aaton xtr prod ? What is there to keep an eye on? what problems should I look out for?

do u want to sell me one?

thomas

#2 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:46 PM

What should I look out for when buying an aaton xtr prod ? What is there to keep an eye on? what problems should I look out for?

do u want to sell me one?

thomas

I can't think of too many issues to look for outside of getting a good price to start with. There are some sellers out there who feel they are worth a little more than is practical when comparing to others for sale in equal condition. Also you should plan on servicing it before doing anything and getting any records of service. The realistic price here in the US for a good body package is about $18-22k. Guys like Visual Products have them for about $25k usually but you know you are getting a fully inspected and serviced cam that's ready to shoot. You can find a regular XTR for a lot less though, just has less bells and whistles.

#3 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:55 AM

I cannot stress enough that you should ahave a trained camera technician inspect the camera thoroughly before making the purchase. Nathan from our NY office posts here and we have someone in our LA office as well, but there are a number of technicians out there who can check the cameras. Of course they're likely to come to us for the actual repair but that's another story. ;-) Anyway, there are issues that you could never possibly detect without opeing up the camera and knowing precisely what to look for. It is a few hundred dollars that should be considered part of the purchase price.

The Slider

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Glidecam

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Paralinx LLC