#1 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

I'm 1st ACing a shoot this weekend with them, in addition to a Cooke zoom. I saw Max's post on anamorphics but I wanted your guys' personal opinion. Any tips etc?

#2 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:35 AM

I'm 1st ACing a shoot this weekend with them, in addition to a Cooke zoom. I saw Max's post on anamorphics but I wanted your guys' personal opinion. Any tips etc?

Have the folks at Clairmont given you any information on films shot with these lenses? If so, please share them with us. Thanks.

#3 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:33 AM

They have Hawks so great lenses used a lot , and some old Todd-AO ones , 70s lenses not so good , but they were used on a lot of films in the 70s- 80s .

#4 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

Have the folks at Clairmont given you any information on films shot with these lenses? If so, please share them with us. Thanks.

I think "Blade" was shot with them? I'm not sure, they were made by Kish Optics because Clairmont wanted light ones for steadycam use, unlike others that are out there. We did some lens tests with them yesterday and the focus on many of them seems to fall off pretty badly on the edges at any lower than f4.0ish. I'll hopefully get some footage up.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

I think "Blade" was shot with them? I'm not sure, they were made by Kish Optics because Clairmont wanted light ones for steadycam use, unlike others that are out there. We did some lens tests with them yesterday and the focus on many of them seems to fall off pretty badly on the edges at any lower than f4.0ish. I'll hopefully get some footage up.

I think "Blade" was shot on their Hawks (which are now called Hawk Compacts or "C" Series) -- although "Blade" may have used the little Clairmont anamorphics (made by Kish) for Steadicam or handheld shots. I've used those Kish lenses on a short film -- they are adequate if you stop down enough. Certainly are small though compared to a typical anamorphic lens.

#6 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:58 PM

David, you're right as far as how they're nice and compact. When we were in the testing room I set one down next to an Optimo and I picked up the Optimo thinking it was the anamorphic!

Ritter Battery

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Willys Widgets

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS