7 replies to this topic

#1 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:05 AM

I tried to achieve Dramatic Look in Video without help of Waveform and/or Video Monitor, using only Light Meter. Seeing it in one's mind constitues Film Lighting and, I think - first step in trying to create/achieve an illusive "Film Look" in Video. The only adjustments were those made to Master Gamma and Detail Control.
After arriving with ASA Equivalent for Video Camera the scene was lit around preconcived F-stop with Motion Picture Light Meter Spectra. Highligths were kept in check the Old Fashion Way.... by Lighting.
It appears, obtaining the so called "Film Look", entails getting ones' hands, mind and soul immersed in Light. Two detrimental factors to observe are Light Quality and Lighting Style. It can hardly happen with Camera Menu and/or camera screwdriver alone. Some things never change.... It is about Lighting.

FILM LOOK

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:41 AM

That's how I do it!

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

That's fine for still images, but movement is one aspect that makes 60i look very different from 24P / 24 fps film.

There are many aspects to the "film look" issue, lighting only being one of them (and I'm not sure anyone has ever thought that video could not be lit dramatically.) Motion reproduction is another, exposure latitude is another, depth of field is another...

And some types of lighting effects rely on reflective bounce from overexposed areas in the frame, something that video tends to have trouble handling; if you knock down the bright areas to a range that video can handle, then you're not getting the same degree of reflective bounce back into the shadows.

#4 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

This guy's not preaching; he's spamming. He's posted on a bunch of other forums this short tirade, followed by a link to some $350 lighting program. (The worst part is that the frame grabs showcased there look pretty uhh...video-y.)

#5 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

That's fine for still images, but movement is one aspect that makes 60i look very different from 24P / 24 fps film.

There are many aspects to the "film look" issue, lighting only being one of them (and I'm not sure anyone has ever thought that video could not be lit dramatically.) Motion reproduction is another, exposure latitude is another, depth of field is another...

And some types of lighting effects rely on reflective bounce from overexposed areas in the frame, something that video tends to have trouble handling; if you knock down the bright areas to a range that video can handle, then you're not getting the same degree of reflective bounce back into the shadows.

As long as one lights within Video latitude one should be able to get the "Look".
I still think it is about Lighting.

#6 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:31 PM

This guy's not preaching; he's spamming. He's posted on a bunch of other forums this short tirade, followed by a link to some $350 lighting program. (The worst part is that the frame grabs showcased there look pretty uhh...video-y.)

Looks like you've just satisfied your angry ego...(?)
Where do you see direct link to Lighting Program in this Post?!

I am not asking you to browse through the website looking for justifications to your preconceived statements

#7 M Joel W

M Joel W
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:59 PM

Looks like you've just satisfied your angry ego...(?)
Where do you see direct link to Lighting Program in this Post?!

I am not asking you to browse through the website looking for justifications to your preconceived statements

Well, I'm met with a personal attack rather than a refutal so it looks like there's no denying I'm right. Your lighting skills look fine, by the way, but it would be appreciated by all if you were more forward about spamming the forums. Also, lose the "film look" advertising; good lighting is good lighting, but it has nothing to do with film vs. video. (Edit: except adjusting contrast ratio appropriately.)

Also, full names as user names.

Edited by Matthew Wauhkonen, 26 June 2007 - 02:02 PM.

#8 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

Well, I'm met with a personal attack rather than a refutal so it looks like there's no denying I'm right. Your lighting skills look fine, by the way, but it would be appreciated by all if you were more forward about spamming the forums. Also, lose the "film look" advertising; good lighting is good lighting, but it has nothing to do with film vs. video. (Edit: except adjusting contrast ratio appropriately.)

Also, full names as user names.

In refence to your experiencing an aura of being under "personal attack" (?)... just how would you describe the nature of your initial post... a "friendly remark"?
Again...
where do you see direct link to advertizing of Lighting Program (?)
Film Look link refers to my my point of view regarding my belief that Lighting starts in one's mind rather then working it backwards (like it is often done by videographers without photography background)... you are welcomed to disagree with it. Afterall this is what Forum is about (I think).
I like the way you speak "on behalf" of everybody in the forum.
Regards.
Film Look... those stereotyped words - we all know - is just a slogan. Film is Film and Video is Video. It is obvious than one can not make Orange out of Apple and/or vice versa.
I propose, you come up with some new topic? I promise to engage if its interesting.
My name is janusz sikora

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineTape