8 replies to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:27 PM

I know a couple directors assistants and they end up learning lots about directing and filmmaking, they make the contacts and are on track to starting their careers as professional directors.

Do DOP's ever need personal assistants? If so, what might the assistants do to help the DOP?

I've been thinking this might be a good way to learn lots more and meet some great people. First, i need to know if it's something a DOP would ever need and how I could help them.

What's your opinion on this?

#2 Simon Miya

Simon Miya
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:58 PM

http://www.cinematog...hp?showforum=69

#3 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 June 2007 - 12:27 AM

And just to clarrify, I'm not talking about camera assistants...I'm asking about a DOP's personal Assistant.

Thanks.

#4 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

Not sure if DP's ever need/want personal assistants, I would suppose that is a personal choice of the DP. But if your intent is to meet people and make contacts, you don't have to be the DP's assistant, working in any other position in the camera dept. will do that for you too.

#5 Paul Maibaum ASC

Paul Maibaum ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 163 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:34 AM

One isn't likely to learn much about cinematography by getting a Director of Photography his or her grande-decaf-nonfat-splendarized-whole foam latte.

Edited by Paul Maibaum, 27 June 2007 - 08:35 AM.

#6 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19768 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:10 AM

I had an intern once, but they weren't my personal assistant -- they spent more time helping out the camera department. Honestly, with three departments under the DP's control (camera, grip, electric) there are plenty of people to help him get a jacket or a cup of coffee.

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:20 PM

I ahve a friend who worked for a feature's length as a ersonal assistant for John Toll. He said it was a pretty good experience and that he was basically a helping hand to the camera dept. most of the time.

#8 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for all the reply's. So if I was to approach a few DOP's about this, what would be the key "selling" points of them having me there as an assistant or intern? How can I get into that type of a possition?

#9 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19768 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:13 AM

Unfortunately, you'd probably have to be covered as a student under a school's insurance policy to go work on a movie set for free. People have asked me if they could intern with me, and the problem is always that they have already left film school. A production will hire someone as a loader, let's say, and pay them -- but unpaid labor isn't really allowed except when it's work for school credit and the school is providing coverage so the production isn't liable.

As for paid personal assistant work, many productions won't budget for that, for a DP, at least none that I have ever worked on.

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC