#1 James Rydings

James Rydings
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:21 PM

I am shooting a short film on Super 16 in Tuscany Italy. I want to give it a low contrast, natural, soft look. I want to shoot with Cooke lenses but it will end up being Zeiss as the production can get them for free, so I will probably use a little diffusion. I am uncertain on which stock to use. My first thought is the Expression or Eterna, but being super 16 I would rather shoot on a slow speed stock around 100-200. Are there any slower speed low contrast stocks? Or should I just shoot on the 7217 or 7212 (maybe even the 7201) and pull process, or use a low contrast filter? Also what are the differences between the Eterna and the Expression?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:30 PM

Eterna 250D, 250T, and 500T are fairly low in contrast, though not quite as low as Kodak Expression 500T or Fuji Eterna 400T.

But less contrasty than Kodak Vision-2 50D, 100T, 200T, 250D, 500T (which are not that contrasty either...) But the old Super-F Fuji F64D and F125T are more contrasty than regular Vision-2.

So lowest contrast: Fuji Eterna 400T, Kodak Expression 500T

Next lowest: Fuji Eterna 250D, 250T, 500T, Reala 500D

Next lowest: all the other Kodak Vision-2 stocks

More contrasty: Fuji F-64D, F-125T, Kodak Vision 74, 79

Most contrasty: Fuji Vivid 160T

If you want the finest grain, lowest contrast, I'd use Kodak 50D (7201) with an UltraCon filter or overexpose and pull-process. Otherwise, I'd use Fuji Eterna 250D, maybe with the UltraCon or overexposed and pulled (which would reduce grain).

#3 James Rydings

James Rydings
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, California

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:41 PM

Thank you for your speady reply. I think I will use the 50D for the exteriors and the 250D for the interiors. However what would be the difference between pull processing and using the UltraCon Filter? I dont want the blacks to go milky. I am thinking of over-exposing 1 1/2 stop and pulling 1 stop. How does that sound?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

Thank you for your speady reply. I think I will use the 50D for the exteriors and the 250D for the interiors. However what would be the difference between pull processing and using the UltraCon Filter? I dont want the blacks to go milky. I am thinking of over-exposing 1 1/2 stop and pulling 1 stop. How does that sound?

Fine. You'll get milkier blacks from an UltraCon more than you would from overexposing + pull-processing, which is more about lowering contrast.

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Tai Audio

The Slider

Willys Widgets

CineLab

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies