Photo

What kind of VIDEO(not film) camera should my studio use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob Van Balen

Jacob Van Balen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

Hi, this is my first post. So sorry if it should be somewhere else.

I'm a Co-CEO of a production studio called Stickmen Sudios, and I'm the resident DOP there. We currently use 2 MiniDV cameras which seems to be working for now, but if there is anything higher quality and is affordable to rent or is able to be borrowed, we would like to know. I know that there are TONS of video systems out there, but please don't include ones like VHS and Betamax. We are forced to use video because the stock is reletively cheap (even 8mm film is too much for us :( ) We often work on low or no budget films so the stock HAS TO BE CHEAP!

Thanks in advanced for helping out.

#2 David Bradley

David Bradley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Other
  • London UK

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

If it needs to be cheap it doesn't get much cheaper than mini DV. In a studio situation or any multi camera shoot I find that time code is help full. Perhaps something from the sony DSR range. I've used a DSR 570 WS for studio/multi shoots, the time code facilities are a great help and as an all rounder its not a bad DVCAM camcorder.

ps Not my place really but sooner or later one of the moderators will ask you to use your real name when posting on this forum.

Edited by David Bradley, 27 June 2007 - 05:27 PM.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

I don't know your exact needs, but you may wish to read up on Panasonic's P2 system. It's a great capture system for affordable high-def.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:05 AM

Hi,

There's a lot of very good stuff out there at the moment for very little money; assuming you're convinced that you need to buy rather than rent, which is a question I have a personal policy of always asking, then I'd look into something HDV.

I have had quite extensive contact with P2 and, despite the fact that I'm entirely comfortable around IT, I have never had anything other than a horrible experience with it. Even if you use Panasonic's prescribed software (and you can realistically use no other, which is a big downer) it is generally a nightmare of intricate file copying and directory rearrangement.

No production I have ever worked with using P2 has ever got away without having to actually write software to make it happen - usually batch files to process things and generate extra metadata.

P2 is a complete bear. Avoid like the plague. It's a great, forward-looking idea, but the implementation is awful.

Phil

#5 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

I'd look into the JVC HDV range.

Here is a pretty good list and pricing information:
http://www.creativev...bcategoryID=136

(In UK pounds that is)

They may not be 1080, but atleast they are 720 progressive.

And if you are shooting in a studio, then you could probably get a HD-SDI card for your computer and hook the camera straight up, and record uncompressed. You would probably need to implement a Raid 0 system, to make sure the hard drives are fast enough to burn that amount of information. But it's certainly do'able.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith, 28 June 2007 - 09:56 AM.

#6 Jaime Toruno

Jaime Toruno
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

<_< Well I stop thinking about any other camera (mini DV) every since the JVC GYHD 110U came out, now I like SONY but till they get off their butt and smell the coffee for right now the best camera out there for mini DV (my opinion) is the JVC with that lens as close as you can get to a professional one the GY HD 110u is the best one and I am not the only one who say it, I know professional photographers that say the same thing. B)

but look around :unsure: and buy what you like.

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies