#1 Andy Ewert

Andy Ewert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hello all, I've been reading for a while but this is a first time post!

I'm a film student with a strong interest in cinematography, and I'm going to be spending the fall semester in Hollywood. I need to find an unpaid internship (because I'll be getting class credit for it) and my question to all of you is: do you have any advice of where to look, maybe what things to look for, what things to stay away from? What are good types of internships to do, and with what types of companies, to get the most benefit from them for a career in cinematography? The search has been somewhat overwhelming and I was just wondering if anyone here had some sage advice to offer. Specific companies or internships as well as just general thoughts are equally welcome!

Thanks to all in advance,

Andy

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

Contact all the cinematographers you want to do an internship with.

#3 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:05 PM

I think you'll be getting an e-mail from him shortly David :D

R,

#4 David Regan

David Regan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 218 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

I got mine just looking on Mandy.com for internships being offered. It might take some looking, but every now and then good oportunities would pop up that I would apply for.

Good Luck

#5 Andy Ewert

Andy Ewert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

MDM, I wouldn't have thought I could get very far aiming that high all at the beginning. Are you suggesting I contact the big names I know or try to find smaller, maybe more accessible cinematographers online? I guess I'm just new to this so I don't know how possible it is to just pick up a phone and try to get Roger Deakins on the other end. Tim Suhrstedt? Mitchell Amundsen? Tak Fujimoto? Also, since I have to work at least 15-20 hours a week (though I would willingly do way, way more) how likely is it that a single DP would be able to offer me something steady enough to fulfill my credit requirements?

How would I go about finding contact information for these (or other, smaller people)? I know there's probably no one good way to do this (as with everything in Hollywood) but any tips would be nice.

RB - I would certainly work for him if he would take me. ;) I'm actually a student at UT so I watched The Quiet out of curiosity for what our Film Institute could crank out.

Also, DR - I looked on mandy.com, which I hadn't heard of before, and found at least one interesting hit. Dalsa is looking for cinematography interns for shipping and receiving/prep work type stuff for their digital video/4K equipment. It's not set work but it would be good for learning equipment and such. Anyone have any thoughts of how useful that might be?

Thanks again in advance!

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:40 AM

Also, DR - I looked on mandy.com, which I hadn't heard of before, and found at least one interesting hit. Dalsa is looking for cinematography interns for shipping and receiving/prep work type stuff for their digital video/4K equipment. It's not set work but it would be good for learning equipment and such. Anyone have any thoughts of how useful that might be?

Apply for it. Every bit of experience helps. It's probably paid there, too.

#7 Jimmy Browning

Jimmy Browning
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

You should also consider interning at a camera rental house like Panavision or Clairmont Camera. I'm about to finish up my internship at Panavision soon. I can't say enough good things about it. It's a 3-month internship and you'll spend a week or so each in different department: shipping receiving (where you'll learn a lot of the accessories and parts), camera service, lenses, HD, and finally you'll spend the remaining 6 or so weeks on the prep floor working with the prep techs. They want you to work about 35 hours per week if your schedule permits it, but you can work more if you want.

It never even dawned on me to "intern" with a DP. Hmmm I do have one more semester left....

Edited by Jimmy Browning, 05 July 2007 - 10:56 AM.

#8 Andy Ewert

Andy Ewert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:15 AM

Jimmy, Panavision was actually the first place I called. I know someone else who has done that internship, and it sounded great. However, I called three times and was never able to get past the receptionist to Courtney (who I assume you know, if you're working the Hollywood office). Any advice on how to get through to him? They just had me leave voicemails and he never got back to me. Am I saying the wrong thing? How did you secure your internship and how much in advance did you have to set it up? Will I still have time if I want to start in late August/early September?

#9 Jimmy Browning

Jimmy Browning
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

Jimmy, Panavision was actually the first place I called. I know someone else who has done that internship, and it sounded great. However, I called three times and was never able to get past the receptionist to Courtney (who I assume you know, if you're working the Hollywood office). Any advice on how to get through to him? They just had me leave voicemails and he never got back to me. Am I saying the wrong thing? How did you secure your internship and how much in advance did you have to set it up? Will I still have time if I want to start in late August/early September?

I'm not sure if the Hollywood office has an internship program or who's in charge of it if they do. I'm at the Woodland Hills office. Try actually going in instead of just calling, it makes a better impression. I didn't have any special secret, I just went in and talked to Ric, the guy in charge of the program, and just let him know how interested I was, and kept showing my face there so he knew who I was. Eventually he just called me to set up an interview.

I don't know how far in advance you should start, but I assume the earlier the better. Try other rental houses too, like Clairmont or Birns & Sawyer. I was actually thinking of trying for an internship at Clairmont this fall myself. That is, if I don't get hired on at Panavision (hint hint.... I wonder if the boss reads these boards? :P )

Good luck.

Jimmy

#10 Andy Ewert

Andy Ewert

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

Ahh - well, I can't just go in, unfortunately, since I live in Austin. I'm going to be in LA only for a semester as part of a program with my school. So I have to do everything by phone, which kind of sucks. Maybe I should call the Woodland Hills office too (the guy I know did his internship at the Hollywood one).

#11 John Doe

John Doe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 July 2007 - 03:41 AM

I met a few guys who wanted me to intern for free... I frankly dont see how you can't get an intern place in hollywood... Its filled with cheap skates that are entirely ego driven about "how much they make," "who they've worked with" But yea, you should have no problem getting ripped off for free work... Dont expect people here to do anything either, unless they've worked with you before and have a repor, its doubtful they're going to extend any kind of effort...

I have set experience and never went to school for it, go figure... I just knew the right people.

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks