Photo

How short would I have to go for the fish eye look?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua Dannais

Joshua Dannais
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:44 AM

Hello I have been looking for some short lenses that would give the fish eye distortion...or slightly before distortion that would fit on my npr.

I was thinking about this lens, could anybody advise me?

Schneider Optics 10mm f/1.8 1" Cinegon Lens, and what size filter would I need for it.

Thanks

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:33 AM

You'd need to use at least a 5.9mm to get close to a fish-eye effect -- the 5.9mm is more of a super wide-angle effect but not fish-eye. 10mm is just plain wide-angle in 16mm photography.

I'd be looking for the 3.5mm Century for a fish-eye, or a 4mm super wide-angle.

#3 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:05 AM

You'd need to use at least a 5.9mm to get close to a fish-eye effect -- the 5.9mm is more of a super wide-angle effect but not fish-eye.

Hi Joshua and David,
to my knowledge a fish-eye is a different lens design, not just an ultra-wide angle lens. "Normal" wide angles are designed for rectilinear projection. As these design become shorter and shorter, barrel distortion (among other deficiencies) is introduced. This may look like a fish-eye but AFAIK it is not.
A true fish-eye isn't even trying to produce a "straight" rectilinear projection but a "curved" equiangular projection (as a side note: a fish-eye is nearly distortion free, to us what appears to be distortion is actually the equiangular projection). Wikipedia has a nice article on fish-eyes. You might want to check it out...
Hope that helps, Dave

#4 Zachary Vex

Zachary Vex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

I have a Peleng 8mm f3.5 that wasn't too expensive and it's designed to be fisheye. It produces a circular result (mostly) in a standard SLR 355m frame but of course it covers a full S16 frame, while retaining a pretty fishy look. They're sold regularly on eBay for $300 with a Nikon mount, if you can use that.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

Hi Joshua and David,
to my knowledge a fish-eye is a different lens design, not just an ultra-wide angle lens. "Normal" wide angles are designed for rectilinear projection. As these design become shorter and shorter, barrel distortion (among other deficiencies) is introduced. This may look like a fish-eye but AFAIK it is not.
A true fish-eye isn't even trying to produce a "straight" rectilinear projection but a "curved" equiangular projection (as a side note: a fish-eye is nearly distortion free, to us what appears to be distortion is actually the equiangular projection). Wikipedia has a nice article on fish-eyes. You might want to check it out...
Hope that helps, Dave

Fine, but practically speaking, you can't rent fish-eye lenses for 16mm photography that aren't very short focal lengths, shorter than 10mm. Usually the "fish-eye" ones are labelled as such. What's confusing is the original question said he wanted fish-eye "or slightly before distortion" hence why I included super wide-angles as well as fish-eyes in my discussion.

#6 Joshua Dannais

Joshua Dannais
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:23 PM

You'd need to use at least a 5.9mm to get close to a fish-eye effect -- the 5.9mm is more of a super wide-angle effect but not fish-eye. 10mm is just plain wide-angle in 16mm photography.

I'd be looking for the 3.5mm Century for a fish-eye, or a 4mm super wide-angle.

First of all, thanks to everybody for all the great input.

Mr. Mullen, could you recommend a few super wide angle lenses that are available in a CA-1 mount or C mount, perhaps something in the 4mm neighborhood? If I read your post correctly, 4mm would not cause any distortion and would give a super-wide angle image? After thinking about it, I would have more use for a super-wide angle lens rather than fish eye.

thanks

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

Except for the newest super wide-angle Zeiss Master Primes, most really wide angle lenses have some distortion. I'm not aware of what's available in C-mount or Eclair mount at that focal length. Probably the 5.7mm Kinoptic, maybe the 5.9mm Angenieux.

#8 Joshua Dannais

Joshua Dannais
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:01 AM

Just to clerify what I was trying to say, I know that there is always distortion regarding space and distance within a shot when it comes to anything other than a normal lens. What I meant by 'without causing distortion' was not causing a shot to pillow or look like this, but rather producing straight lines:

Rach.jpg

I'm going to look around and see if I can find a 5.7 Kinoptic or maybe the 5.9 Ang, if any more come to mind please let me know. thanks

#9 Joshua Dannais

Joshua Dannais
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:08 AM

Would an 8mm or 10mm be a better choice for a wide angle lens to limit this type of distortion?

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

It's all a matter of degree and taste -- it's not like there is some hard demarkation where it's distorted and then it isn't. 10mm is a fine general wide-angle lens in 16mm. If you're looking for more of a Kubrickian wide-angle look, you may consider something more in the 6mm to 8mm range.

#11 Joshua Dannais

Joshua Dannais
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:07 AM

Thanks much... I think 8mm might be the sweet spot, what brands I should be looking for?

#12 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 04:55 AM

Fine, but practically speaking, you can't rent fish-eye lenses for 16mm photography that aren't very short focal lengths, shorter than 10mm. Usually the "fish-eye" ones are labelled as such.

Hi David,
I just wanted to point the difference between a wide angle and a "true" fish. It's a common misconception that a lens "becomes" a fish eye if it is shorter than a specific focal length.
Speaking of lenses for 16mm, do you or anyone else know of some kind of database of 16mm lenses? It would be nice to have a table of what focal lengths, brands and mounts is available. Same goes for 35mm of course, but from what I have recently seen there are more brands and mounts for 16mm around.

Regards, Dave

#13 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 July 2007 - 09:16 AM

It would be nice to have a table of what focal lengths, brands and mounts is available. Same goes for 35mm of course, but from what I have recently seen there are more brands and mounts for 16mm around.

Hi folks,
my brand new ASC Manual arrived today and I found it has a really nice list of lenses in brand, focal length and speeds they come in. In my '04 edition it starts on page 582. I found that Century Optics, in addition to the ones that David mentioned, have nice 1.9 (!!!) mm T2.8 prime for 16mm. Anyone ever try that one?

Regards, Dave

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Opal

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS