Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 01 July 2007 - 05:56 PM

Hello.

Does anyone know of a place where I can purchase Gold and Silver Refelctors and White Bounce Card? It needs to be as portable as possible as I will be trapsing around a fair but with it all, but still very effective in reflecting sunlight. I simply can't afford HMIs.

Best Regards - Matthew Buick. :)

#2 Shane Bartlett

Shane Bartlett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Nashville

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:04 PM

Something like this? http://www.filmtools.com/showcard.html

You can also try bead board. (http://www.filmtools...1beadboard.html) From my local equipment house it comes in 4' x 8' sheets, silver on one side, white on the other, at $15.00. Cut in half for two 4 x 4's. The silver side is highly reflective, the white quite soft. I don't know what size you consider portable, but even 4 x 4 is pretty large. However, it is very lightweight.

For a bit more kick in White bounce, I usually just buy small single sheets of white foam board, as well as the larger tri-fold project board, at just about any school/office supply. Very cheap, and does the trick.

Ordering small quantities of these from filmtools probably isn't practical. I'd suggest contacting your local (or nearest) rental house for the beadboard and/or showcard.

#3 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:31 AM

For portability consider using a flexfill or two.

#4 Chris Sharman

Chris Sharman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:44 AM

You can walk into most branches of Jessops and buy a Lastolite collapsable reflector for about £35 if I remember rightly. Get one with silver on one side and white on the other and you're pretty much covered. You'll probably end up using the white side for fill far more than the silver, which is pretty harsh on the new Lastolites (a few years ago they were much softer and more flattering, though not as reflective).

Not sure how much use you'll get out of a gold reflector if you're aiming to augment/balance daylight, but if you're desperate you can get gold Lastolites as well.

In my book these are invaluable...and probably the one piece of professional equipment which offers true value for money.

JM

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

Not sure how much use you'll get out of a gold reflector if you're aiming to augment/balance daylight, but if you're desperate you can get gold Lastolites as well.

The gold side is very useful for dark or black skin.

#6 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Thank you everyone. :)

The Lastolites seem to be just about what I'm looking for, though pop-up reflectors never actually occured to me.

My friend worries about teenage acne, I can't wait to tell him there's a type of light that will sort that. :P

Thanks all! ;)

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Metropolis Post

CineLab