• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:49 PM

A large number of classic (as well as not-so-classic) movies are being currently being transferred to HD. I was wondering if any of them, specifically any of the big studio classics, are ever digitized from a pin-registered film scanner, as opposed to HD telecine. (I'm watching a pristine, rock-steady HD transfer of Chinatown as I write this). I'm just curious if any of the high-end telecine machines are capable of this degree of registration, or if they're being used in conjunction with stabilization processes available from workstations such as a Smoke or Flame. Thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:12 PM

Most telecine work is pretty stable, as evidence by the fact that a Spirit can be used for D.I. work.

There is some restoration work done using film scanners though -- "Dr. Strangelove" for example.

Unfortunately most "restoration work" is really not that at all, it's a digital clean-up and repair of a telecine transfer for home video, usually at HD resolution.

#3 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:16 AM

Most telecine work is pretty stable, as evidence by the fact that a Spirit can be used for D.I. work.

There is some restoration work done using film scanners though -- "Dr. Strangelove" for example.

Unfortunately most "restoration work" is really not that at all, it's a digital clean-up and repair of a telecine transfer for home video, usually at HD resolution.

I have done some work at Post Logic NY and while we were there the second room was working on mastering several films for video. The workflow was Spirit/DaVinci 2k or Spirit/Pogle to D5 and then dust busting and general cleanup of prints in a single link hd enviornment. D5 is a nice video format but as David says it's not real restoration as it's still video.

hooligan

#4 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:03 AM

I know that some Criterion titles were transferred on a Spirit at Nice Shoes to Thomson/Philips D6 "Voodoo"

You could go to HDCamSR instead now....

-Sam

#5 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 09 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

I know that some Criterion titles were transferred on a Spirit at Nice Shoes to Thomson/Philips D6 "Voodoo"

You could go to HDCamSR instead now....

-Sam

The stuff they were working on at PL was Jackie Chan films from HK for Miramax and a Criterion in B+W....about a year ago..

-Rob-

Technodolly

Glidecam

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post