Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hey peeps,

Been a few months, but I'm back in the fray. I have been very busy with a few short movies and pulling together my website. It's all up and if I could get some feedback that'd be fantastic.

Feel free to critique any of my movies as well. I'm always open to anything constructive.

LINK : www.ashleywing.com

All the Best
Ash

#2 Ashley Wing

Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

Urm....Anyone?

#3 Martin Yernazian

Martin Yernazian
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco/Los Angeles CA USA

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

I like it !, it's simple and gets to the point quickly

next time you should hire a graphic designer, someone that understand style, and make it glossier

Best

#4 Timothy Wallace

Timothy Wallace
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

Between The Lines
As a one-time WWII aficionado, I was very interested in this. My compliments on the costumes and overall historical accuracy. While I discerned a few model shots of the Tiger I tank (e.g., the first shot where it comes to a stop -- the tread was too shiny and clean), I'm still scratching my head over how you got what appear to be non-model shots of a roadworthy Tiger, zimmerit and all, with your actors on board. Well done!

Otherwise, my (largely unqualified) opinion is that over all the continuity was well maintained. Though I didn't study it shot-by-shot (at least not this go-around), no weaknesses in visual or audio quality caught my attention. In fairness, I had to fight to keep from getting pulled into the story, so you must have done something right. The beginning credits and initial dialogue against the black backdrop began to drag on a bit (IMHO), but that was soon forgotten as the story unfolded.

I found the music pretty compelling, too. Seemed just right in capturing the drama and pathos of the rather sad story.

If/when I get a chance to scrutinize it more I'll offer more comment, if you like.

Obedientbone - Aware
I'm probably not the best person to offer feedback on something from the "music video" genre (some might say 'or anything else, for that matter'), but as far as they go, this one was nicely done, I thought. The blend of imagery was attention-getting without being over-the-top, cutting between some interesting patterns/subjects.

The one spot where continuity seemed a bit jarred is on the first chorus, where the vocalist's singing "...I could be..." is split between two very different shots (1:11), and her facial expression seems to change abruptly. If that was intentional, then no biggie, but the inconsisency was noticeable.

I hope that's some useful feedback..
Tim

#5 Ashley Wing

Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hey Tim,

Much thanks for the feedback, I really appreiciate it. Feel free to go deeper if you so wish. Between the Lines is my first short film and having sinced moved on there are alot of things I'd like to change. I'm working on a few other short films at present, hoping to gain more and more experience as I go.

Again I am really grateful you took time to have a look.

All the Best
Ash

P.S. We bagged the Tiger 1 tank from a private collector. We contacted him and he was happy to allow us to shoot the vehicle, we were very lucky indeed.

#6 Timothy Wallace

Timothy Wallace
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

Ashley,

Well I just watched the Between The Lines documentary, and was struck by two things: 1) A conspicuous absence of tripods ? was that whole thing done hand-held? If so, that's outstanding, because at no point in the movie did any shot seem distractingly unsteady, and yet no action shots came across as excessively shaky. Your (Alex's?) camera control is nice. 2) It appears the whole thing was done with a couple of Canon GL2s ? is that right? Again, if so, that says a lot about both that unit and your team's ability to produce a quality product with it.

Regards,
Tim

#7 Ashley Wing

Ashley Wing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Director
  • Devon, United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2007 - 04:08 PM

Hey Tim,

We used the XM2's as we didn't have a budget to rent any gear. I basically used my own equipment and met a few people who were kind enough to spare some more. We did use tripod's for some of the shots, mostly for the German scenes. Some shots were very shaky in fact, but I managed to smooth it out in post. This was a very stressful shoot for me as there were only three people on the crew. Myself, Alex and Dan. As Dan doubled as an Actor it ended up just being me and Alex on Camera and we'd rotate sound duties throughout when needed.

It's my first short and it was a brilliant experience, I can't wait to get my teeth into a feature.

Ash

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies