• 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:06 PM

Gidday,

I was thinking of buying this HD here as I'm running out of space here pronto:

http://pconlineshop....635cf1185a83bbc

Thats about US$161 ...

Question is will that be fine/fast enough for editing of HD/video using FCP 5.1 ?
Is that ever an issue any more ? (I haven't done this stuff for ages)

As an aside I plan to make a music video that will require compositing and effects on the footage (FCP5.1 and AE CS3)

So far my research has told me that I should be getting my super16 film telecined to digibeta and then converted to quicktime/blackmagic codec HD

I'll be working on one of those Intel mac MAC/PC hybrid 1.8GHz - 1.5Gig ram machines

Is this going to work out ? I dont mind if its slow ...

Feel free to point out my ignorance or lapses of logic - I'm keen to learn !

Nick

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11936 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have no idea why people immediately go chasing after USB or firewire hard disks for editing. Unless you have a very specific reason to be mobile with it, get a perfectly normal, off-the-shelf SATA disk and plug it in. That's all you're getting in one of those enclosures anyway - plus a firewire/USB controller which completely murders the performance of the drive.

You're talking about using Blackmagic's codecs. That's fine, but they're uncompressed. 10-bit 1080p24 requires, for safety, about 300 megabytes a second of data. No single hard disk currently in existence can do that; you'll need at least four, more likely six, and for redundant safety eight, disks plus a correctly configured RAID controller.

Phil

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 02 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

I have no idea why people immediately go chasing after USB or firewire hard disks for editing. Unless you have a very specific reason to be mobile with it, get a perfectly normal, off-the-shelf SATA disk and plug it in. That's all you're getting in one of those enclosures anyway - plus a firewire/USB controller which completely murders the performance of the drive.

You're talking about using Blackmagic's codecs. That's fine, but they're uncompressed. 10-bit 1080p24 requires, for safety, about 300 megabytes a second of data. No single hard disk currently in existence can do that; you'll need at least four, more likely six, and for redundant safety eight, disks plus a correctly configured RAID controller.

Phil

I dont have a tower, only a iMac ... Its even worse than a powerbook in terms of in and out

Righto, ok - so still learning here, my research is wrong, had to take a stab though huh! ... I'm not forking out for that kind of system until I can prove to myself that its really what I want to doing with my life at this stage,

So, with what I have - an Intel iMac 1.8gigglewatts speed and 1.5ramhorns - and say that drive I linked (or otherwise?) what would be the best workflow I could expect to grind out of it if I were to require compositing/effect work of super16 transfered footage ?

Are there any other options ? Can I work with a lower res format like I would with non-effected 'standard' footage and export a kind of 'effected' EDL for some other system to work directly on the 10-bit once I'm finished ?

If I want the uncompressed resolution I am talking about should I just expect to work on images not in real time ? in AE or photoshop actions/automation even > ?

Theres so much much info to wade through, not forgetting the false/mis information I've occasionally gleaned here and there - now I know what it must be like for people with no film experience reading about shutter angles, bleach bypass, printer lights, filter factors and rem-jet removal ...

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam