4 replies to this topic

#1 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 July 2007 - 01:20 AM

A complete about-face from "The Parallax View"...

I love old b&w movies, especially the moodier ones. Growing up and watching TV, old films like "Jane Eyre" or "Wuthering Heights" affected my view of what England looked like -- it's really the Gothic England of the imagination, the way it should have looked, not the reality.

I like the use of painted backdrops and visual effects to create this unreal landscape with its oppressive mood. George Barnes was a master at this sort of lush, shadowy look -- "Rebecca" is his other great film for lighting. He also trained Gregg Toland.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Piotr Ciacka

Piotr Ciacka
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:33 AM

Beautiful... I too remember watching it on TV some years ago. The second picture is uber-gorgeous. How did they do the sky? Red filter?

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

Beautiful... I too remember watching it on TV some years ago. The second picture is uber-gorgeous. How did they do the sky? Red filter?

Well, it's an efx composite to my eyes, but the sky element was probably shot with a red filter, though actually in that sort of heavy storm cloud formation, the red isn't doing a whole lot because of the lack of blue mixed in there, but it does help create a little more separation.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:04 PM

They do look fascinating. I'm not too sure what I think of the moody film-noir type look, though. I prefer a more glossy look to my monochrome. But cinematography means different things to different people.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

They do look fascinating. I'm not too sure what I think of the moody film-noir type look, though. I prefer a more glossy look to my monochrome. But cinematography means different things to different people.

Surely, Matthew, you pick the style to suit the material, you just don't apply your favorite looks to everything regardless of the content. You don't use a glossy look when a glossy look isn't what the story calls for.

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera