#1 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

Hello again experts. I received a Kilfitt Kilar 1:3.5 / 90 lens with my Bolex H16 I bought on Ebay a few weeks back. I am thinking, from what I have been reading about standard Bolex lenses, this is not a normal lens to come with an H16, especially since the viewfinder is set for 15mm, 25mm and 75mm. It came with a Switar 1.8 16mm (Close enough to 15), a very clean Cooke 1.4 25mm, the Pan Cinor 17.5 - 70 zoom and this oddball 90mm.

My first clue on the 90mm is that I can't focus anything through the critical focus on top any further away than about 3 feet. Makes me think it's for a camera with a different film plane focal point? The lens is marked out to infinity naturally but it won't go past a few feet in focus.

Anyone know what I have here? I did find a few web sites mentioning the Makro versions of Kilfitt 90s but this isn't marked as a macro type. As the lens comes apart in several sections I was wondering if maybe the last section, a tube with no elements might be replaceable and different lengths for different cameras, and maybe this tube was wrong for this camera.

My final guess is, whoever had this before I did simply picked up the wrong lens along the way. Now I'm wishing I had a 75mm for it. Anyone have a spare 75 they won't beat me up over? I'll trade this oddball 90.

Thanks folks.

Sean

#2 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

My final guess is, whoever had this before I did simply picked up the wrong lens along the way. Now I'm wishing I had a 75mm for it. Anyone have a spare 75 they won't beat me up over? I'll trade this oddball 90.

Sean, please don't be in a rush to trade away that Kilar - it's valuable. It sounds like what you have is a "Makro Kilar" something like the one pictured below. These lenses were manufactured in a variety of mounts, including Arriflex, Exacta, and what you probably have, a "C" mount. They have an extra-long focusing helical and can focus very closely, although I'm not sure why yours doesn't seem to focus all the way to infinity (perhaps it's fitted with an extension for 1:1 work). The 90mm model is awfully long for 16mm cine photography, but very nice for portraits and macro work in 35mm stills. There was also a very similar 40mm model. Anyway, these usually sell for a pretty penny on Ebay (I sold one in silver for about $150 several years ago, and I've seen them go for more). This should be more than enough to buy you a top quality 75mm, if that's what you want. Good luck!

Posted Image

#3 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

a tube with no elements ...

Sounds like a macro extension tube to me ... What thread is the other end of the tube ? C-mount also ?

If so take it off, and mount directly ...

(basically, what Ian said ;) )

And welcome to Team Bolex ! (again?)

#4 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 04 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

Well, it's got a larger mount on the other end of the tube. I'll try posting a few smaller images so you can get a bit of a look at it. I saw that same website where that image comes from of the other lens. I would think it would say Makro or Macro on it someplace but it doesn't. It is mostly black with silver adjustment rings. See pics. The tube is C mount only on the one end. From what I have seen of other similar models, it may be a longer tube for some other camera model.

These parts all fit together and it looks like there is some sort of filter holder that goes between the lens hood and the first element when you screw the hood on. So it goes like this, lens hood, filter holder ring, lens, tube with C-mount on the smaller end that attaches to the camera.

Let me know if anyone recognizes it.

Thanks,

Sean

Attached Images

• Lens_1.jpg
  • Lens_2.jpg
  • Lens_3.jpg

Edited by Sean McHenry, 05 July 2007 - 12:01 AM.

#5 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:39 AM

I'd say the long tube is an extension tube which also serves as a C-mount adapter, because the lens mount is bigger than a C-mount. Does the tapering part of the tube separate from it, revealing another C-mount thread? If not, then to use it at infinity you need a shorter adapter.

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

Google is my friend and tells me that the Kilfitt has a Leica mount and needs an adapter like this http://www.geocities...244/kilfadz.jpg (for an Exakta). You need a tapering adapter of the correct length to take the 39mm. Leica thread down to C-mount. I think.

#7 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:19 AM

I'd say the long tube is an extension tube which also serves as a C-mount adapter, because the lens mount is bigger than a C-mount. Does the tapering part of the tube separate from it, revealing another C-mount thread? If not, then to use it at infinity you need a shorter adapter.

I was hoping that tube was actually 2 or 3 pieces and there really was an extension piece in the middle but no, the tube as you see it in the pics is one long solid tube.

The adapter in the other pic looks like it might go from the lens segment itself to a bayonet mount. That's cool in that maybe this lens would be of use to someone. I can focus down to millimeters in front of the lens so I could use it for super tiny macro stuff, like shooting animation with really really tiny matchstick men or something. Still, rather have the correct 75mm for the camera.

I am willing to trade for the appropriate lens...

Thanks for the info Mark and everyone.

Sean

#8 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:13 AM

Sorry, but I don't recognize that particular Kilar. It's clearly not the "makro" that I'm familiar with. At first glance, it almost looks like an enlarging lens, but an enlarging lens wouldn't have a focusing mount, and would probably have a smaller maximum aperture. In any event, there are all kinds of 75mm c-mounts on Ebay, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something. Good luck.

#9 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, but I don't recognize that particular Kilar. It's clearly not the "makro" that I'm familiar with. At first glance, it almost looks like an enlarging lens, but an enlarging lens wouldn't have a focusing mount, and would probably have a smaller maximum aperture. In any event, there are all kinds of 75mm c-mounts on Ebay, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding something. Good luck.

Speaking of smallest aperture, it goes down to f32.

I have seen only one other reference to this lens, but no other images of it. Must be an odd bird. The other 90mm Kilfitt Kilar's seem to be f2.8 macro's.

Maybe I'll put it up on Ebay this weekend and see who bites. Maybe there is some special niche it filled for still photographers?

Thanks folks,

Sean

#10 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

If you mean the photo I posted, then yes, it's an adapter for an Exakta 35mm. SLR. You ought to be able to find a Leica-C mount adapter. It's easy to check- the Leica thread is 39mm. across.
Post script- here's one, a bit pricey though. http://cgi.ebay.co.u...VQQcmdZViewItem

#11 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have a Leica thread to C-mount adapter (and original Bolex item) and I doubt I paid more than ten dollars for it, but for some reason the ones I see on Ebay are often priced much higher. BTW, does your lens have a rangefinder coupling on the back? I can't tell from the photos you posted. If it does, the Leica collectors will go crazy for it.

#12 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

I have a Leica thread to C-mount adapter (and original Bolex item) and I doubt I paid more than ten dollars for it, but for some reason the ones I see on Ebay are often priced much higher. BTW, does your lens have a rangefinder coupling on the back? I can't tell from the photos you posted. If it does, the Leica collectors will go crazy for it.

I wouldn't need any adapters as I will probably be letting go of it on Ebay this weekend. I can't find a good use for it so I'll get it moving around to someone that can. Nope, no coupling of any sort on the back of the lens itself.

I think it's one of the last of it's breed. Nobody seems to know what the little beast really is.

You're all welcome to bid on it this weekend if you like.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully it will bring enough into the bank to pick up a decent 75mm, or maybe a reflex Bolex? Not holding my breath on that one.

Sean McHenry

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio