6 replies to this topic

#1 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'm a huge Spielberg fan and this TV special looks really interesting. It's a one hour documentary about Spielberg airing on Turner Classic Movies. Just thought that anybody who was interested and has the channel should check it out. It's airing on July 9 at 8 pm eastern.

There's some clips on the website www.turnerclassicmovies.com about Spielberg talking about why 1941 was such a failure and some interesting things were mentioned in that 40 second clip. Like how he became so controlling and obsessed that he shot everything in the movie including all miniatures and second unit shots. He would do 20 takes on simple inserts because he thought he had to do everything perfectly. If the entire show is like that clip it should be good.

#2 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:56 PM

I'm a huge Spielberg fan and this TV special looks really interesting. It's a one hour documentary about Spielberg airing on Turner Classic Movies. Just thought that anybody who was interested and has the channel should check it out. It's airing on July 9 at 8 pm eastern.

There's some clips on the website www.turnerclassicmovies.com about Spielberg talking about why 1941 was such a failure and some interesting things were mentioned in that 40 second clip. Like how he became so controlling and obsessed that he shot everything in the movie including all miniatures and second unit shots. He would do 20 takes on simple inserts because he thought he had to do everything perfectly. If the entire show is like that clip it should be good.

I've got my DVR set, I thought it was interesting that G. Lucas gave him 2 1/2% of the Star Wars Films for 2 1/2% of Close Encounters because he thought it would be better then SW.

Edited by William A Chapman Jr, 05 July 2007 - 09:58 PM.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 10 July 2007 - 05:00 AM

That was VERY cool, I'm going to watch it again the next time it comes on. I especially like his explanations of how he was able to anticipate how the audience would react. B)

#4 Josh Brokenbourgh

Josh Brokenbourgh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

When he is describing Mathesons script/concept for duel he says "Hitchcockian" suspense: which is a interesting establishment of Speilberg's appreciation for inter-cinema culture. And then I'm reminded of how cool that zolly is at the beach on Roy Scheider from Jaws- which was ahead of it's time for popular culture films back then.

Yeah the 2 1/2% is funny because he said that he is still seeing money on it presently. It's also interesting to hear his descriptions of Lucas and his insecurity in "Star Wars" success saying "It's a little kids movie..." in comparisons to "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

I love his laugh after admitting that he knew so little history of the "arc" in raiders because George Lucas did and Lucas isn't Jewish- It's telling of his "living room" personality which is probably very key in his directing style.

I won't spoil it anymore for you all, the point is -watch "Spielberg on Spielberg" it shows the reason behind the magic. Very educational- that guy has lived an amazing life.

#5 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:09 PM

I thought it was really good, I went and put it on a dvd to add to my collection, deffinitly worth seeing.

#6 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

I will try to catch it. any chance this is on bit torrents?

#7 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:15 AM

I will try to catch it. any chance this is on bit torrents?

I have no idea, it dose replay all month on TCM.

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post