#1 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

I'm having a bit of difficulty attracting acting talent for a feature I will be filming in Seattle starting in September. I've put audition notices on several local websites,walked up to people on the street and also approached persons at galleries, plays and other artist functions. I've told them the story which I'm excited about and also the shooting format which is 35mm. People have responded well, but actual persons who have contacted me and audtioned for a part have been fewer than 15 (sigh)..

I heard from a fellow seattle-area filmmaker who was in Santa Monica last year and held auditions for a short film and something like 300 people showed up that day-wow. That's what I want..
Seattle actors are commited but they're out of my league because I'm a fringe no-budget filmmaker. In that way I feel like I'm suffocating here in my hometown.

My question is.. do you think it prudent to fly to L.A. and hold auditions for a micro-budget feature filming in Seattle than expect actors to fly-drive-bus themselves to Seattle later for the principal photography? Most of the parts wouldn't demand more than a few days on set so not a huge burden for the actor if they really wanted the part.Would they do it? How hungry are L.A. actors for a part?

Thanks

#2 e gustavo petersen

e gustavo petersen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA | CA | USA

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:38 AM

Have you tried contacting community theatre groups or the university, college and community colleges there. They can be a surprisingly good source of talent.

#3 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 August 2007 - 04:41 AM

My question is.. do you think it prudent to fly to L.A. and hold auditions for a micro-budget feature filming in Seattle than expect actors to fly-drive-bus themselves to Seattle later for the principal photography? Most of the parts wouldn't demand more than a few days on set so not a huge burden for the actor if they really wanted the part.Would they do it? How hungry are L.A. actors for a part?

Thanks

Niki,
I know you've made this same post before about looking for talent for your film, and I think you got a fair amount of responses before....
I think it's a stretch to expect actors to pay thousands of dollars to be in your film. You actually might find some people who would do it, but I'm not sure they'd be any good. I think most actors in LA would leave the room after being told they had to pay their own way to Seattle to be in your movie. It just doesn't make sense. They need to earn a living after all, not spend money to work.
If you don't have the money to make a film, you should probably wait until you do to try to make it.

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products