#1 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have an 1M and the original power cord, I want to get a standard 6.5V battery and hook it up but I'm not sure how to make the connections and I don't want to blow anything.
Thanks!

#2 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 08 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

I have an 1M and the original power cord, I want to get a standard 6.5V battery and hook it up but I'm not sure how to make the connections and I don't want to blow anything.
Thanks!

If you have Konvas with rheostat motor 25M-8M motor , you need battery 6-8 v and the current can be 6-10A.
You can use of 6 v 10 ah SLA battery.
The polarity of connection of battery not important, will work with any.

If you have other type of motor, let me know.

#3 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 September 2007 - 04:28 PM

Still confused.. it says on the side of the motor "16 BT 6B 9A 1440 [then some russian letters]" and below that it says "16W 6V 9A 1440t.p.m."
and the serial number is "N630345"

The power cord is a odd electric blanket looking thing. It has one two-prong, one smaller two prong and then a single prong end.

So how I "connect" THAT to a modern battery.. you said polarity doesn't matter but I'm still afraid- I don't want to blow this motor.

I'll post some pics later.

#4 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

Still confused.. it says on the side of the motor "16 BT 6B 9A 1440 [then some russian letters]" and below that it says "16W 6V 9A 1440t.p.m."
and the serial number is "N630345"

The power cord is a odd electric blanket looking thing. It has one two-prong, one smaller two prong and then a single prong end.

So how I "connect" THAT to a modern battery.. you said polarity doesn't matter but I'm still afraid- I don't want to blow this motor.

I'll post some pics later.

Here are the pictures of my 1M and power cord. How do I connect a modern battery to this cable and which way is negative and positive?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:48 AM

It doesn't have a computer board or printed circuit board in it. If you connect it up backwards, the motor
will run backwards, that's all, there is nothing in the motor to blow. You know how to remove the motor from the camera, connect the battery, look at which way the dive cog spins. If it is turning the way it needs to to engage the cog in the camera, it is correct, mark it and move on, if not, reverse polarity and it will spin the correct direction, them MARK that and move on. Use female pin connectors of the proper sige to connect the cord to the battery terminals OR cut off the pins from the battery side of the cable, strip back the wires and add terminals that will work for your battery. Also on those KSR-1s (it's not really a m1 if it has a 6vt motor) the plug at the sorta mid-cable, plugs int the back of the round section of the camera body and there is a locking lever that is actually a switch at the bottom of the round section that is some kind of a safety switch or something. It must be engaged before the motor switch will work. You can see it in your picture. The plug nearest your camera;s mag in mid cable is the one that you plug into the round part of the camera body were ther gears are housed. Am I being clear here? Let me know if you don't understand. Commiecam.com also has a section (though it's in German) on installing a battery on the KSR-1 as well, search it and you will find it wellll Hell let me find it for you......here:

www.messestadt-tv.com/Tips/Steenbeck/konvasmotor.html

you can translate the page here though the translation sucks (damn computers) maybe you can figure out what it's trying to say:

worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html

But visit the Commiecam site, it's LOADED with info on these little suckers as well as many resources.

B)

BTW I use a small 6 vt battery charger with mine, it seems to work great, just make sure it has enough amps for the motor to draw on or it won't work.

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 03 October 2007 - 12:52 AM.

#6 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thank you sir!!

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:52 AM

De Nada, Amigo. B)

#8 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:11 AM

Wow, i just bought a Konvas 1M off eBay (from the Ukraine) and was hooking it up yesterday and getting it running when i came across your questions here about the 1M battery cord. How awesome! And lucky! In your photos Niki u hav EXACTLY the same model that i have. Exactly the same!! So your questions, and James's answers are really relevant to my trials and tirubulations too. That safety switch was a bit of a coup for me, cos my motor wouldnt budge, so when i read that bit i was like Woohooo!!! - Thanks James.

Incidentally, I have hooked up a 6V 12A/H motorbike unsealed acid battery with mine. It's very small and i'm building a little leak-proof satchel for it to strap around my shoulder during hand-held shots. I've even (with the help of my bro-in-law who is an engineer) built a new handle and new tripod mount for it. So I'm pretty happy. (And even tho the 12 A/H is higher than the 9A/H stated on the motor, it doesnt matter. The motor just draws the amapage that it needs. It would only be bad if we used an excessive amount of VOLTS.)

So, the ONLY thing I'm having trouble with now is the loading of the film into the magazine. Now, Niki, the Ukrainian dude who sold me the camera said what we have is the special "military" edition of the 1M with lower and upper magazine locks, and the inside of our magazines is different to others too. Have u noticed this?? I have. It seems that all the websites that show detailed methods of loading a Konvas mag all have a very different-looking mag to the ones that came with mine, especially regarding the cogs and things on the inside. I have three mags, they are each silver and of the 200ft variety.

So, Niki, or James (or anyone else who has used these), could you please please tell me how to load this puppy???

Thank you.

Jian.

#9 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:34 AM

It doesn't have a computer board or printed circuit board in it. If you connect it up backwards, the motor
will run backwards,

Ihope , we told about motor of Konvas-1 camera, KSR-1, KSR-1M, with name of 25M-8M.
This is motor included commutator motor DC motor with stator windings, switches and rheostat.

[attachment=2726:scheme.gif]

Yes, The motor don't have any electronics and any computer control.
From other side the polarity of battery connecting not influence on direction of rotation of motor.
That's why, you can connect battery with any polarity and motor must rotate correct.
The direction of rotation of motor depend from conenction ofr wires of stator and rotor winding.

The rheostat control of speed of rotation of motor.
The switches on-off of motor and switch of stator and rotor winding in series or in parallel.
This is commectation need for use of motor with battery with low power or at low temperature of air.

But, i must underline. The many Konvas-1 ( KSR-1, KSR-1M ) cameras have mechanical mechanism of stopping of shutter disk at fixed position. This is mechsnism must be use with mechanical spring motor only.
If you use electrical motor, you must disconnect of this mechanism, because, if you will use of procedure stopping of camera by this device, you can broken of gears inside of motor.
A repair a few motors with broken gears, because, the stopping mechanisn jammed of axis of camera , but, the motor run and broken gears.
Please, check this.
The axis of mechanism of camera must rotate easy, if you wish use of electrical motor.
the run and stopping of camera can make by switch on motor and switch on body. I recommed use of switch on motor.

The power cords of Konvas-1 rare device and plugs have very old russian style.
I can recommed upgrade of motor on any type of high current modern plugs or make direct wires to motor.

#10 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

So, Niki, or James (or anyone else who has used these), could you please please tell me how to load this puppy???

Thank you.

Jian.

Does anyone actually READ my posts?!! Commiecam.com -resources page -VERY FIRST LINK!!!! :blink: Incidentally, Rafcamera.com has an adapter at $25 bucks per that will allow you to use standard Kodak film cores (see, at the time these were made, the Soviet Union and the United States were on the verge of wiping out humanity in a nuclear holocaust so they weren't really in the mood to sharing technology or having much in the way of trade so the Russians had their own specifications for those 200ft mag designs) The adapters drop the film load down to like 170-180 ft something like that so they will work great for short ends, which is probably what you'll be ordering anyway at this stage of the game.

#11 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

James u've misunderstood the kind of mag I'm talking about. It's definitely NOT the one on commiecam or any other site that i can find. It's (from what i've been told) a limited edition military mag with UPPER and LOWER locks. It's a silver/grey colour with a marble textured finish. I'll try to upload some photos of it tomorrow. The inside of the mag is totally different to the average Konvas mag. It has a whole bunch of extra visible cogs and sprockets on the inside. The normals mags are much simpler than this, trust me.

And yes I already have the kodak converter cores. All i'd like to know (and sometimes I wonder myself if people actually read my posts!) is if there is anyone here who has genuinely used these exact mags and knows the exact way to load them. They seem to be loadable in several ways, but i'd the like to use the official method.

I'll post some pics of the mag here by this time tomorrow.

Cheers.

#12 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

Ok, just took some pix. Here is my Konvas KCP-1M, some shots of one of its mags, and the 6V battery I'm using to power the camera... Has anyone used this specific type of mag and know how to load it???

Edited by Jian Cyrus Farhoumand, 07 October 2007 - 10:23 PM.

#13 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

Posted Image[/url][/img]Posted Image[/url][/img]Posted Image[/url][/img]Posted Image[/url][/img]Posted Image[/url][/img]Posted Image[/url][/img]Posted Image[/url][/img]

#14 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:46 AM

Looking at the camera body, it looks like a very early version of the Konvas, the ones that looked more like an Eclair with that hump at the bottom. The very early ones were top latched, so my GUESS is that this is probably a the same kinda loading set up as those early top latch with a bottom latch added to help keep the mag well setted and free of dirt while bouncing around in the muck of a battlefield. It's interesting that it's also printed in English. Olex might know more about these early versions. You could email him and / or check his site. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one BUT it is a bit of an odd ball camera. I just hope it doesn't cause you too much troble getting parts for it, it looks like it's in wonderful shape. B)

#15 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:40 AM

Looking at the camera body, it looks like a very early version of the Konvas, the ones that looked more like an Eclair with that hump at the bottom. The very early ones were top latched, so my GUESS is that this is probably a the same kinda loading set up as those early top latch with a bottom latch added to help keep the mag well setted and free of dirt while bouncing around in the muck of a battlefield. It's interesting that it's also printed in English. Olex might know more about these early versions. You could email him and / or check his site. Sorry I couldn't be of more help on this one BUT it is a bit of an odd ball camera. I just hope it doesn't cause you too much troble getting parts for it, it looks like it's in wonderful shape. B)

This is specail edition of Konvas-1, made at Krasnogorsk factry ( KMZ ).
I had Konvas-1 from KMZ, but, this is version have special surface on front side of body near mirror disk.
This new for me information.
Konvas-1 from KMZ rare version and i not remember of all details of film magazine.
I think, you not must have problme with film loading. All procedure easy.

#16 Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:22 PM

Well, it does actually say KCP-1M on it in bold writing so i guess this camera is a bit of an anomaly. It also says it was made in 1966, but seems to have been almost entirely unused. It's in great nick. I'm really very happy with it. It's running smooth and i've worked out the correct way of loading it (there seem to be two ways but one is just simpler and therefore better i think). And i noticed that with this motor the polarity doesn't matter at all. So there's no need to worry about hooking up the the positive and negative the wrong way around as either way the magazine cog still turns the same way. But i must stress that this is only the case on my one with the pictured motor above, and not the case with others!!!!

But yeah, it's an awesome little baby, and not as loud as everyone makes out. I'll upload a video at some point to show it running.

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Opal

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies