#1 Wendy Roderweiss

Wendy Roderweiss

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

I recently made a short film, shooting on the Panasonic HVX using p2 cards. We shot 720/24p.

I have three questions.

1. My DP told me that camera doesn't shoot 1080/24p, just 1080i. Is that true? He said if we wanted to shoot 24p, it had to be at 720. Is that right?

2. What is the best format to master out to? I see that most festivals take digibeta or hdcam or dvdcam. For the specs we shot at, what is the best format?

3. When laying out to DVD, what format should I use there for 720/24p native footage?

Thanks so much!

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

1. My DP told me that camera doesn't shoot 1080/24p, just 1080i. Is that true? He said if we wanted to shoot 24p, it had to be at 720. Is that right?

The HVX200 records 24P at 720x1280 resolution by recording 24 discrete, progressive frames per second. It records 24P at 1080x1920 resolution by adding a 3:2 pulldown and lays that down as 60 interlaced fields per second. You can only shoot variable frame rates at 720.

2. What is the best format to master out to? I see that most festivals take digibeta or hdcam or dvdcam. For the specs we shot at, what is the best format?

Whatever format the festival requires. Try to keep your final master (in FCP or whatever) "hot" (keep the material on a harddrive), so that you can output whichever format you need when you need it.

3. When laying out to DVD, what format should I use there for 720/24p native footage?

DVD's are of course standard defintion, 480 lines. Your only real choice is wether you want to keep the material as 24P on the DVD, or convert it to 60i.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Tai Audio

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport