#1 Jim Jiri

Jim Jiri

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:41 PM

I am in a preproduction stage of a film that will be shot in Europe, centered around a famous French vocalist, with a lot of green screen shots, lot of moving camera, just like a music video. I have a very limited budget and would like to shoot with a rig created from the 2 upcoming Sony XDCAM EX cameras, possibly even 2 Sony Z1 cameras, if that would be advantageous, should the lens functions, etc. be better controlled together. I have people who would create the mechanical and electrical parts to make it work together. After I finish shooting the film, I want to disassemble the rig and use the cameras separately.

Does anyone have some ideas as to how to develop such a system?

Can someone explain to me how critical is the distance between the lens centers (axes)? I put a ruler in front of my eyes and measured about 7 cm (3") between the eyes. Just a few minutes prior to that I was in an elevator and a girl carried a little dog, whose distance between the eyes must have been half of that. Now. what would happen, if I would make the distance 2x as large as mine - 14 cm? How wold that affect the picture?

I remember a Canon demo of a single 3D lens on XL1 camera, which produced superb 3D imaging.

What focal length is best for 3D? How about DOF?

Should the 2 camera axes be parallel, or should they cross at the point of focus?

I am planning on initially making digital prints only, both 2D and 3D. Output of one of the cameras would be used for the 2D final cut.

Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Although the singer will be the center of the film, it will serve mainly as an aesthetic, emotional element. There will be a story with other actors playing the leading roles.

I would like to get the 2 Sony EX cameras as soon as they come out.

I have Z1's and if I put them side by side, the lens centers (axes) are about 13 cm (5") apart, but at that a close distance I am not able to reach controls on one of the cameras, so the rig would have to be easily separated in two, to make camera adjustments when needed.

I think that there is a way to use LANC control to control both of the Z1's together; is it zoom only?

The EX cameras appear to be wider, so possibly the distance between the cameras would increase by at least an inch.

Please, give me as much info as you can; I want to use my own cameras; I don't want to rent.

If someone else would like to use such a ring, I could have them make more of these in the future.

It seems that 3D HD content will have a much more longevity as there seems to be a rapid retrofit of theaters to digital 3D projection.

Thanks,

Jim

#2 Jim Jiri

Jim Jiri

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:56 PM

Is it a lot better to shoot in a progressive mode - 1080/25p, or is 1080/50i OK?

#3 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:28 PM

I have Z1's and if I put them side by side, the lens centers (axes) are about 13 cm (5") apart, but at that a close distance I am not able to reach controls on one of the cameras, so the rig would have to be easily separated in two, to make camera adjustments when needed.

5" is rather far apart, okay for scenics and long shots.

Read these downloads:

http://www.stereosco...rary/index.html

http://www.d3.com/contents.html

#4 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:32 PM

test :blink:

#5 Micah Kovacs

Micah Kovacs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Student

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

on an Iwerks 3d cam - dual 8-perf 65mm - they use 30mm prime lenses. But I'm not sure how that would translate into HD.

and with the lenses parallel or crossing focus point, that is called the "convergence" of the lenses:

"In stereoscopic display technology, an object at the convergence point of the lens/camera axes will appear at the plane of the display device. An object in front of the convergence point will appear in front of the display device and an object behind the convergence point will appear behind the plane of the display device. Therefore it is desirable to adjust the convergence of the axis of the two cameras to place the viewed object at a visually appealing location."

So you must make the convergence adjustable so you can choose roughly where the depth at the screen will be. If the lenses are parallel, then you are making infinity be at the plane of the screen which would produce a highly undesirable effect. It might be useful to mark off points at 15 and 30 feet for easy convergence presets - you'll just have to figure out a way to measure this.

and it might be better to have a large DOF because the viewers eyes will focus on areas of the image at different 3d distances and other areas will be put out of focus naturally just like the eye does in real life. (I think haha)

#6 Jim Jiri

Jim Jiri

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Director

Posted 12 July 2007 - 03:01 AM

Thanks guys for the info.

The first link allows you to download excellent books. What is fascinating and probably unexplored in film 3D is hyperstereo imaging, which actually needs larger distance between the two lenses and I can see an excellent use for it with green screen, but I must study it some more.

Has anyone made any 3D films, where he would vary the distance between the two lenses? It's been done successfully with still photography and in may have a great application in music videos, where you want better than natural 3D effects.

I have to get into it a lot more, but it seems that it would be possible to make a whole film with this hyperstereo 3D, but one needs to be a lot more concerned with the scene perspective, when to use green screen, how and when to converge the two camera axes, very carefully use proper focal lengths and camera distances in the shots. It seems that the larger separation can give you better than natural results, and I may need it for my production, which has so many music video elements.

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

CineLab

CineTape

Abel Cine

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Glidecam

Opal

Tai Audio