Photo

How do those annoying MTV shows like Laguna Beach have such deep and rich colors?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joshuajohnson

joshuajohnson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

How do the annoying MTV shows like Laguna Beach have such deep and rich colors? Is it a certain type of filter that makes seem so "glamorous" or whatever you would call it? Is it just the type of camera that the cameramen use?

#2 Eon Mora

Eon Mora

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Chicago, Il

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

it has to do not only with the cameras they use (they arent just your standard broadcast, im almost positive they use the varicam) but they also get a chance to prelight just about every location and think ahead rather than your standard doc style run and gun shooting. plus they have really good shooters doing theyre stuff and it also goes through a ton of post production sweetening.

#3 Nathan Milford

Nathan Milford
  • Sustaining Members
  • 692 posts
  • Director
  • New York, NY

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Last I saw they were using Panasonic SDX900's

#4 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

I remember those krunk videos in the 90s that had the most intense colors ive ever seen. It seemed like they used some narrow shutter angles but I guess the rest might've been some kind of color saturation in post

#5 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:06 AM

I've shot some for MTV (not the "reality" shows), and also knew a 1st years ago who worked on Laguna Beach. Laguna Beach was/ is SDX900s, but MTV owns tons of DVXs and HVXs as well as standard broadcast gear.

I think most of the look comes from just slightly warming everything up in camera, as well as shooting nice B-roll type stuff during pretty times of day. None of the shows look that special or hard to achieve to me, just warm.

Kevin Zanit

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:32 PM

How do the annoying MTV shows like Laguna Beach have such deep and rich colors? Is it a certain type of filter that makes seem so "glamorous" or whatever you would call it? Is it just the type of camera that the cameramen use?

Color correction in post makes the final look of every show on TV. You can crank up and clip as much as you want.

-- J.S.

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc