#1 tanner wolfe

tanner wolfe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:30 AM

we had registration issues with, i believe, some of the footage from our short. i am not sure because the first and last time that i saw the dailies i was feverishly color-correcting them. if the issue is intermittent then it is a magazine or a.c. problem. correct? i used a very reputable camera house out of detroit that i trust. however, my assistant was not a veteran. pls. advise.

tanner

#2 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:22 AM

hi
registration issues on an sr3 is certainly a problem os mag.

do you have a camra report that says what mag it is about?

usualy there are camera test done prior to filming, thoses test will prevent from these kind of problem.

the trap is the intermitent problem but it's covered by insurences.

was the incriminated mag tested by the rental house after the shoot?

can you discribe the registration issue, is it on the neg?

good luck

#3 tanner wolfe

tanner wolfe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

usualy there are camera test done prior to filming, thoses test will prevent from these kind of problem.

the trap is the intermitent problem but it's covered by insurences.

was the incriminated mag tested by the rental house after the shoot?

can you discribe the registration issue, is it on the neg?

good luck

i wanted to do a registration test, of course. however the production i was working for gave us no time or budget for that. they did not commit to shooting film until a week before principal photography. this was very, very low-budget and many common procedures were ignored.

the issue is on the neg. we made no prints; it went straight to HD. could the registration problem have occurred as a result of a badly loaded mag. or is the mag. itself to blame? i have not contacted the rental house yet. i just saw the problem when i was doing color correction.

tanner

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

i wanted to do a registration test, of course. however the production i was working for gave us no time or budget for that. they did not commit to shooting film until a week before principal photography. this was very, very low-budget and many common procedures were ignored.

the issue is on the neg. we made no prints; it went straight to HD. could the registration problem have occurred as a result of a badly loaded mag. or is the mag. itself to blame? i have not contacted the rental house yet. i just saw the problem when i was doing color correction.

tanner

Well, a registration problem is pretty unlikely to be a poorly loaded mag. The only things that can happen from a badly loaded SR mag, due to their design, is that it won't take up or the loop is incorrect and the camera will outright jam. If the problem is intermittent, can you connect the problem to anything about the shots? For example, are the wobbly shots all at a high or low speed?

Another thing to check, was the film fresh? If the film has a chance to expand or contract the pulldown claw and registration pin could have trouble properly doing their jobs.

#5 tanner wolfe

tanner wolfe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:51 AM

Well, a registration problem is pretty unlikely to be a poorly loaded mag. The only things that can happen from a badly loaded SR mag, due to their design, is that it won't take up or the loop is incorrect and the camera will outright jam. If the problem is intermittent, can you connect the problem to anything about the shots? For example, are the wobbly shots all at a high or low speed?

Another thing to check, was the film fresh? If the film has a chance to expand or contract the pulldown claw and registration pin could have trouble properly doing their jobs.

we did do some high speed work. however, i remember the problem happening on a 24fps shot. i dont' remember if any of the high speed footage was compromised or not. i am anxiously waiting to get a copy of the dailies. i've only seen the footage once and it drives me crazy thinking about it. also, the film was received directly from kodak and thrown into the camera. on monday, i'll talk to the rental house about the magazine. thanks.

#6 chuck colburn

chuck colburn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Other
  • orygun

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

What type of reg. problem is it?
Vertical jitter? Side weave? Breathing? All of the above?

#7 tanner wolfe

tanner wolfe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

side weave describes the problem very well.

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Technodolly