Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:30 PM

Check this out: http://www.inv3.com/what_is.html

Any thoughts?

I'm not entirely clear how they work. Is it something like constantly scanning between right and left eyes?

I can't view any of the files because they assumed everyone has a PC and put them in .exe files.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

I'm not entirely clear how they work. Is it something like constantly scanning between right and left eyes?

I can't view any of the files because they assumed everyone has a PC and put them in .exe files.

For mac users, expand it with StuffIt or something similar.

The examples look nice but the effect is so subtle it's almost a lost cause for such bulky and probably expensive lenses. It might also be more effective on a larger screen. I think they're too cumbersome and (I'm guessing) expensive for any kind of general use.

I wish they had a before/after for the corona ad. The ice texture looks great and I'm wondering how much of that is the lens and how much is expert lighting and styling.

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

I saw it demoed at HD Expo last year, and have the DVD lying around somewhere. It's a cool effect, but for very specific shots in my opinion.

If I recall correctly it's basically a slightly offset lens element that rotates around inside the lens, shifting the light path around as it goes. Think of it like closing one eye, and then moving your head around in a very small circle so that you're always seeing a slightly shifting perspective.

The upside is that it really can add a 3-D illusion to certain subjects. The downside is that on stationary or slowly moving shots it just looks like the image is wobbling. The demo with the colorful dancers shows that the greater the camera movement, the more the wobble is disguised. But if the movement is too quick, you can't see the effect as much. So there's definitely a "sweet spot" for any shot.

Think of it like one more effect to pull out for certain shots, like using a narrow shutter angle or slow motion to punctuate a scene.

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:19 AM

Think of it like one more effect to pull out for certain shots, like using a narrow shutter angle or slow motion to punctuate a scene.

Well put. I doubt I'll find much use for them but it's nice to have the option if I ever do (and have the budget, I bet rentals are high on them).

#6 Rob van Gelder

Rob van Gelder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

Am I too suspicious if I click on one of the links on this website and am asked to download a xxxx.mp4.exe file/application?

looks like a virus to me......... so i cancel.

<_<

#7 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Am I too suspicious if I click on one of the links on this website and am asked to download a xxxx.mp4.exe file/application?

looks like a virus to me......... so i cancel.

<_<

They are movie files that have been zipped to be a bit smaller.

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

CineTape