#1 Dylan Turner

Dylan Turner

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Best Boy

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hey, I'm new to the forum so I asusme this would be the best place to post this. I have a question that I need cleared up about a little short I'm shooting on 16mm.

Its pretty much a silent montage of a guy as he travels through various outdoor landscapes. I'm shooting on a low con stock (50d). But I'm not quite sure how to handle a shot of our actor walking along a sidewalk. The problem is the sidewalk has parts where its covered in shade (by trees) and then parts where its sunny.

I guess I could split the difference in exposures but I don't want to be too under for the face. And, also if I lean towards the shade (but still under expose a little) should I do the same when my shot is made up mostly of shade but still has slight higlighted hot spots from the sun.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

50D is not low con ;)

Is it a continuous shot from sunlight to shade? Or is the film broken up into separate shots? The simplest approach is to expose for the predominant light in that area, and cut before the subject walks into an area that's dramatically different.

But if the shot calls for the subject to pass through sun and shade in the same shot, you'll have to decide which area you'd rather have closer to a normal exposure, and how far under- or over-exposed you're willing to go with the rest of it. It's a judgement call based on the shot angle, the filmstock, and your vision for the film.

Of course the easiest (and most common) solution is to light the scene -- bounce some reflected sunlight into the shaded areas, and/or scrim down the sunlight if you can get a frame overhead.

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS