4 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson Crothers

Jayson Crothers
  • Sustaining Members
  • 351 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

Please pardon me if this posting seems like a frustrated rant, but I think it may be useful for some of the newer members to this industry to keep this in mind for the future.

I've had three different occasions this year where people either lied or were highly mis-leading about thier experience and capabilities. I was only bit by it once earlier in the year (a short film I did for a friend with an "AC", and I use that term loosely); the past two occurrences were during the interview process.

The fact of the matter is that you'll get caught - if you're lucky you'll be found out during an interview and before you're hired; at that point you'll probably be black-balled by those people. If you're really unlucky, you'll get the job and then hurt the production. I can tell you with in no uncertain terms that the "AC" I worked with earlier in the year will never work with me again, nor anyone else that I work with. This AC may eventually go on to become the greatest AC the world will ever know, but they lied to me before the job and then greatly impacted the shoot with their inexperience. I accept a part of that blame for not catching it before we got to the actual shoot, but fundamentally the burden of being honest falls upon the person applying for the job.

Padding your resume or lying about what you have (or haven't) done will not help you; you might get away with it for a few gigs here and there, but people talk and it's a shockingly small world. When you are found out, it won't be pretty. More importantly, you're potentially (likely) going to hurt a production - you'll cost someone time, money, or hurt the quality of work.

It's not worth it. So don't do it.

One final note - it's fine to apply for a 1st AC position if you're a 2nd AC, so long as you're clear that your experience has primarily been as a 2nd and you're looking to move up (it's not fine to be a 2nd and apply under the guise that most of those 2nd jobs were 1sting jobs). Likewise, if you're a Best Boy applying for a Gaffer position, just make sure you're clear about your experience (and in my opinion, being unclear is very close to lying).

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

I have to agree, it's quite shocking what goes on in this business.

Signed,
Richard Boddington, Director of:

"Star Wars"
"ET"
"Raiders Of The Lost Ark"
"JAWS"
"The Godfather, Parts 1 & 2"
"Howard The Duck"

#3 Kieran Scannell

Kieran Scannell
  • Sustaining Members
  • 339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Netherlands/Ireland

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

Richard.

Just going on the strengths of "Howard The Duck" alone I'm surprised you have the time to post on this forum.

Much respect.

Kieran.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 15 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

Don't pick on Howard I consider it my greatest achievement. Howard is worshipped like a God in Nepal.

R,

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:13 AM

Don't pick on Howard I consider it my greatest achievement. Howard is worshipped like a God in Nepal.

R,

Given this, surely it should be Richard Boddington SR. Or perhaps Esq.?

I think I'll reclaim what the English took away and be "Earl Marischal" Christopher Keth on my resume. It sounds distinguished.

Seriously, though. it does suck that so many people will so freely lie about so many things. I suppose it makes the honest of us look better but it's still a pretty petty practice.

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery