#1 andres victorero

andres victorero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Spain

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hi I´m planning to buy some prime (20, 35, 50, 80mm) lenses to convert to Arri PL (that covers 35mm frame).

I thinking in contax zeiss T* still cameras lenses or maybe a good set os OKS russian lens.

What do you think? better contax zeiss or OKS primes?
Someone try this?
thanks in advance

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hi I´m planning to buy some prime (20, 35, 50, 80mm) lenses to convert to Arri PL (that covers 35mm frame).

I thinking in contax zeiss T* still cameras lenses or maybe a good set os OKS russian lens.

Someone try this?
thanks in advance

You do realize that remounting primes so that follow-focus units, zoom motors, et cetera will fit would be a very expensive proposition, right? It would entirely negate the money you saved by buying cheap lenses.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:57 AM

If you own your own camera it might be more cost effective to convert the camera to a standard Russian mount and buy those lenses. Oleg might have some suggestions, he's very knowledgeable about Russian equipment.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:58 AM

If you own your own camera it might be more cost effective to convert the camera to a standard Russian mount and buy those lenses. Olex Kalynychenko (search the members listings) might have some suggestions, he's very knowledgeable about Russian equipment.

#5 Simon Miya

Simon Miya
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

You do realize that remounting primes so that follow-focus units, zoom motors, et cetera will fit would be a very expensive proposition, right?

You do realize that zoom motors have no place on a prime? What is included in the "et cetera"?

#6 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:36 PM

You do realize that zoom motors have no place on a prime? What is included in the "et cetera"?

The idea is still valid, even if I did do a dumb slip up. It happens. Don't be rude. I'm just trying to make sure he knows what he's getting into.

#7 Simon Miya

Simon Miya
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Other
  • Portland, OR

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:44 PM

The idea is still valid, even if I did do a dumb slip up. It happens. Don't be rude. I'm just trying to make sure he knows what he's getting into.

Nothing rude here, I used the exact same emphasis you did. I'm just curious what else won't fit, I can only think of the follow focus. Focus markings are likely to not be as accurate on a still lens, but I believe everything else should fit just fine.

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:39 PM

The only problem with Russian lenses is the ring gear pitch is different than Western lenses so you'd have to use a Russian follow focus or change out the ring gear in addition to switching the OCT-19 mount to a PL mount, that and Lomos, (which is the high quality but relatively inexpensive Russian lenses) don't generally come in 20 and 80 mm, for the 20mm, you'd probably be able to find an 18 or a 22mm and for the 80 you'd have to more than likely go with a 75mm, so from THAT standpoint, the Ziess might be better if you want those exact focal lengths, otherwise the Lomos are as good or better than Ziess or Cookes of the same era.

#9 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:21 PM

Someone try this?
thanks in advance

I believe that Slow Motion Inc. can sell you the Russian lenses already in PL mount:

http://www.slowmotioninc.com/

-- J.S.

#10 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

I believe that Slow Motion Inc. can sell you the Russian lenses already in PL mount:

SlowMotion sells the new pricier Optika Elites. Not as pricey as new ArriZeiss lens, but a lot more than LOMOs.

http://www.optica-el...om/default.aspx

eBay dealers sergastr and realrus1realrus often have LOMOs with PLmts and Plmts for later model LOMOs.
Though I haven't seen realrus on lately.

http://rafcamera.com/ is a good place to try. Also Olex at http://www.geocities.com/kinor35/

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Glidecam