#1 Josh Fritts

Josh Fritts
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:59 PM

I have a S16 shoot coming up that takes place around a swimming pool dealing with a lot of muted pastel colors. Originally, I wanted to go with the 7212 (with 85 plus other filtration) because that film stock is Kodak's finest grain 16mm film stock, but now I'm second guessing that by putting grain aside and thinking more about making the muted pastel colors pop.

I have always been a devoted Kodak guy, but this project gives me some room to experiment and I was wondering how Fuji would hold up in this color test.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#2 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:34 AM

Fuji would be great , shame you have spent so much time with Kodak ,dont know what you have missed so try now .

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

I had good results with 7218. Not quite a fine grain stock, but still pretty damn good and the colors are nice and muted. I clicked into this post, by the way, soley for the verbal irony 'how to make pastel colors pop'. You also have the option of desat in telecine, if this is to be outputed to video. You might also try 7217 pushed one stop (or even two). That worked out for me, but its a different look for sure.

but alas, I am a kodak guy too. Not quite by choice, directors keep finding deals on kodak, and usualy we go where the money is right. At least I generaly get to choose stock, as long as its kodak. Strange though, since fuji is generally cheaper. I have been gently coaxing the director of Tale of Two Bodies to shoot let me fuji.

call up fuji and ask for their demo disk. You can't judge grain on it, but you can judge color response in their line. Also there are a few good tests that show its dynamic range. You might be able to get a few test rolls as well.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Fuji Vivid 160T or F-64D would make the image more saturated, if that's what you mean by making pastels "pop".

Opal

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

CineTape

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc