how can i learn??

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sureshwer

sureshwer
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

Hi ,im interested in cinematography....i want to learn basics abt cinematography through internet
suggest me some ideas

Edited by sureshwer, 16 July 2007 - 09:00 AM.

#2 Josh Brokenbourgh

Josh Brokenbourgh
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Student
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:38 AM

There are many great Cinematographers on this forum that are experienced and give great advice. If you want to learn purely from the internet without touching a camera/book/school/internship you will need to ask more specifically. Many people will tell you to start with still photography for many reasons. One reason is- aside from shutter angle and some variations in lens adaptation still cameras and motion cameras are very similar (with other exceptions). But the basic principles of using a still camera are comparable to motion. Then you must learn about light, color, and composition. After looking at the principles of those things then you need to learn practical application of them. Those are basic things, and I am not covering all of them- they are just examples.

To make a comparison- Asking that general of a question could be compared to asking "How do I build a car?" Even basic cinematography is a technical craft that must be accomplished in a state of hands on experience.

This forum is a great place to start. But the topics are very specific and can be technically engaging. I would suggest reading in areas that strike your interest the most- it will help you pick up on the language of the craft.

Also click "Resource links" you will find some cool stuff in there. Within that link there is another link I would suggest to- "Library" you will find manuals, plus recommended books, and movies.

And finally you must use your first and last name as your display name. Click "My Controls", then under personal profile click "Change display name."

Happy learning :)

Edited by Josh Brokenbourgh, 16 July 2007 - 11:39 AM.

#3 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

Hello Suresh, and welcome. You should just jump right in and start shooting with some inexpensive format, like miniDV video or Super 8 film. Make films of your friends, family, interesting scenes, the world around you. After you've played around a while and gotten familiar with basic shooting, you'll want to edit your material; the easiest way is using a computer video editing program like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premier - they have lots of bells & whistles in those programs, but the only editing function you have to know is the "cut".

If you want to get into the technical aspects of image exposure, get a 35mm or 6x6 manual focus, manual exposure still camera and learn how shutter speed, f/stop and focus all work to get a picture. Take pictures in different kinds of lighting - direct sunlight, shade, cloudy, nighttime, indoors, etc. You'll learn how light and shadow work to create different moods, and help to tell the story.

Lots of things to learn, and your whole life to learn them in. Have fun!

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery