Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:08 PM

I saw this auction on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ame=mem_guide:2

They show two examples of before and afters. The first one I agree with, I think the second one looks better, but the second image, I think the baby looks better in the before image. Neither is how I would have corrected it actually. But the before image seems closer to the truth than the after image.

Just curious what others see and think.

#2 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:41 PM

I feel like they mostly cooled the "after" off a little to make up for the aged, redish look, or maybe they wanted to show a more accurate skin tone after shooting under normal tungsten bulbs.

But I agree with you in a way. The 2nd reminds you more of that typical washed out video look where the first feels more like old chrome film which of course is so much more soulful.

#3 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

For the first picture, I greatly prefer the before version. They say they fix exposure problems but they just blew out the highlights and made a nice shot look flat. I don't care for either shot of the baby. I would have gone in between the before and after, personally.

Edited by Chris Keth, 17 July 2007 - 01:18 PM.

#4 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

One other thing, $9.99 for a transfer? It reminds me of the Saturday night live skit about the bank that gives out a dollar for every 4 quarters, and that's they all they do! How do they stay in business, they make it up in volume.

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

"We'll take away your red highlights... and give you washed out green shadows instead!"

#6 Adam Thompson

Adam Thompson
  • Sustaining Members
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:59 AM

One other thing, $9.99 for a transfer? It reminds me of the Saturday night live skit about the bank that gives out a dollar for every 4 quarters, and that's they all they do! How do they stay in business, they make it up in volume.

OMG that is one of my favorites of all time! In a very sincere tone the bank manager says: "Someone can come to us with a five, a ten, and twenty quarters and we can give them a twenty... we can give them a ten and ten ones or two hundred dimes, that's not a problem... we will work with the customer". :lol: :lol:

(Something like that anyway)

#7 Chad Stockfleth

Chad Stockfleth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 622 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Louisville, KY

Posted 18 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

But the before image seems closer to the truth than the after image.

Really? Things don't look so magenta to me in real life. Not saying the other is great, but more realistic. Seems that is what they are going for, not artistic renderings.

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

Really? Things don't look so magenta to me in real life. Not saying the other is great, but more realistic. Seems that is what they are going for, not artistic renderings.

My family has a lot of very old super 8 and 8mm home movie that have degraded so home movies are just magenta to me. It's a long ingrained memory thing.

#9 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

The original of the baby is a bit too reddish for my tastes, but I prefer that to the blue/green tones of the after. I would reduce the overall chroma just a bit, turn the hue slightly yellow, then add in some red/blue to it.

#10 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

OMG that is one of my favorites of all time! In a very sincere tone the bank manager says: "Someone can come to us with a five, a ten, and twenty quarters and we can give them a twenty... we can give them a ten and ten ones or two hundred dimes, that's not a problem... we will work with the customer". :lol: :lol:

(Something like that anyway)

I remember the first time I saw that piece and I kept waiting for the punch line, I was actually wondering what is their secret, how can they stay in business by changing taking in coins and giving up back an equal amount in paper money? When they explained they make it up in volume, it was one of the funniest lines I can recall ever hearing because it sounded logical yet was a completely nonsensical answer. I think I really connected with it because in grade school my friend and would pool our money during lunch to see if we had enough to buy something. Usually we didn't, so I would say, "Let's pool our money (dramatic pause), and get NOTHING!

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Technodolly