#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:02 AM

Will I have any trouble matching footage shot with standard speed lenses with footage shot using fast lenses of the same type? I'm talking specifically about late 80s-early 90s similar year LOMOs but this is also a general question. I have sold my 35, 50 and 75 standard speed lenses and used the money to buy other equipment I'll need for my upcoming shoot, which leaves me with my 35, 50 and 75 fast lens and 6 standard speed lenses. I just wanted to make sure I didn't shoot myself in the foot and will have to eventually replace the lenses I sold. Anyone know? B)

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

David, Max, Anyone? :huh:

#3 Henri Titchen

Henri Titchen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:25 PM

Hi James,

Sounds like you have some nice lenses.

I would suggest tests with a roll of film (short end?) will help highlight any issues. Then perhaps a single light print. A slate with lens, aperture, stock and other details will help when the print is viewed.

Please let the forum know how you get on.

Henry.

Will I have any trouble matching footage shot with standard speed lenses with footage shot using fast lenses of the same type? I'm talking specifically about late 80s-early 90s similar year LOMOs but this is also a general question. I have sold my 35, 50 and 75 standard speed lenses and used the money to buy other equipment I'll need for my upcoming shoot, which leaves me with my 35, 50 and 75 fast lens and 6 standard speed lenses. I just wanted to make sure I didn't shoot myself in the foot and will have to eventually replace the lenses I sold. Anyone know? B)

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

There is likely to be a slight color cast difference since different glasses may have been used, and different coatings were probably used.

You might want to do some good tests with properly shot greycards under exactly 3200K light and have them printed to neutral. Have the colorist note the printer lights (or you can note the correction in 0-255 RGB numbers, too) needed to make each lens neutral.

#5 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

The fastest and cheapest way would be to put the lenses on a projector. That way you can tell any obvious resolution and color/contrast differences. But finding a projector that can take you Lomo lenses might a bit of a challenge. Same goes for an MTF projector. Otherwise shooting testcharts and printing it to 35mm will give you a good idea where you stand.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:28 AM

Thanks, I was kinda hoping the answer would be "they should be fine" :unsure: but whadaya gonna do? Oh well if there IS a problem, I'll just take my time and replace them over this next year. I'm doing Blood Moon first and that's gonna be shot on anamorphic anyway, so unless I get hired to do someone else's film and there actually is a difference, it shouldn't be a problem.....I HOPE. :blink:

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Opal

Glidecam

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC